Re: Tomatoes in New Orleans?

NORM! Don't worry about offending anyone Mr. Peterson. Those thin-skinned prissy fusspots in the group aren't worth spilling your beer over.

Since tomatoes are really tender perennials, there shouldn't be any problem growing them in New Orleans but the constantly hot temperatures would probably inhibit their forming fruit, especially during summer. The problem is that the plants need a cool night temperature to promote fruiting.

There are many tomato cultivars out there that are disease resistant. You just need to find the ones that are appropriate for your area. Maybe you local agricultural extension can give you some ideas?

I normally don't top-post messages, but I'm starting a new thread... Hope > this doesn't annoy anyone too much. For context, the old thread is below > this post. > > In a recent reply to another reader of this ng, I made the statement that it > seems nearly impossible to grow tomatoes in New Orleans. I feel I should > clarify my statement, and I am hoping that some of you out there may have > some useful advice (or even evidence that it's me and not New Orleans that > can't grow tomatoes). > > By "impossible" I mean that I've had more fungus, bug, and water problems in > my present garden than in all my previous locations combined. We get so > much rain that half my garden drowned this year despite raised beds. Same > story last year. The survivors have had to deal with heat and bugs that > approach apocalyptic levels. Incredible. And then there's the fungus, to > boot. .... Oh yeah, the SNAILS! ugh! > > My cukes, peppers, and sunflowers all grow beautifully. > > I have raised beds, have ammended the soil with compost repeatedly and (I > hate to admit it) commercial fertilizer on two occasions. I have also used > pesticides three times to knock back incredibly dense infestations of > insects, but I generally prefer not to use pesticides. The plants are well > spaced, and teh area is fenced off from pets (and strays). I am currently > trying to ammend the soil with a 50-50 mix of wood ash and compost to > address possible problems with Ca+ deficiencies, etc. > > Any one out there with experience growing tomatoes in very hot, humid > environments? I'd love to read your comments. > > ~norm > > > > I am new to this news group and I am hoping to get some pointers on the > > best > > > methods of pruning tomatoes, or places I can look to find more > > information. > > > I am in a northern climate with a short growing season. Any help would > > be > > > greatly appreciated. > > > > > > > I live in New Orleans where it's almost impossible to grow tomatoes - or > so > > it seems. I've found that *lightly* pruning my plants helps to combat > > fungus problems (by letting more sun & air get to the interior of the > > plant), but I do think the plants suffer in some ways despite my good > > intentions. If you have a specific reason for pruning - like fungus - > then > > do so, but carefully. However, I would advise against pruning in most > case. > > > > good luck and happy gardening, > > ~norm > > > > > >
Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

LSU has been a major developer of tomato cultivars for many years. They should have the best advice either on-line or through your ag extension agents. Try

for a sample,

Reply to
FarmerDill