Re: tomato stakes

If you buy "rebar," metal rods about 3/8" in diameter made to reinforce concrete, you can push them into the earth very easily.
And they will last almost forever.
You can get them at building supply centers. Get 20 foot pieces and cut them (or have tghem cut) into thirds, or buy pieces about seven feet long.
vince norris
vincent p. norris wrote:

DO NOT use "rebar" for plant supports. The rust from them can kill your plants and they look like crap after just a few weeks. There are MUCH better items to use for plant support.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
rust will not kill the plants, I have been using rebar for years without any problem. as for that matter the iron is good for them.
-- Sam Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

No, rust won't kill your plants, and your tomatoes should be big enough in a few weeks that you won't even see the rust! Many people use rebar, I prefer the plastic coated metal rods (I pay for pretty).
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Ann wrote:

I never mentioned tomato plants but I do know several people that have lost many Hollyhocks and other tall plants after using "rebar" to support them. It could be that they were coated with some other chemical that harmed the plants.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850
expounded:

Here it is, no mention of railroad tracks, that was just my interpretion:
http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/reb_faq_index.htm