Re: thuricide in rain bar

DP>From: dps

DP>Use a screen over your barrels. You only have to install it once.

Great idea! Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Ciao, Ack.

Reply to
THURSTON.ACKERMAN

BA>From: snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com

BA>There is a form of BT called BTi that targets mosquitos. It is a slightly BA>different strain than thuricide or dipel. You could just put a tablespoon or BA>two of kerosene on the surface or even a thin layer of cooking oil.

I tried the cooking oil but it got a bit messy . I like the screen over the barrels idea.

Ciao, Ack.

Reply to
THURSTON.ACKERMAN

SI>From: "simy1"

SI>you could buy a couple live minnows at the bait store. they will keep the SI>barrel clean but you have to leave a bit of water in there at all times.

Thanks Simy. I think I will try the screen over the barrels first.

Ciao, Ack.

Reply to
THURSTON.ACKERMAN

Been tempted to try a couple inch layer of styrofoam peanuts on the surface to see if it deters mosquitos from laying eggs in the first place.

Reply to
bamboo

An interesting approach. Can't think of any reason it wouldn't work if the layer were thick enough (I would guess 3-6"), but there are two things you will want to do if you try this:

(1) some sort of retainer or cover so that wind doesn't pick the styrofoam out of the barrel and blow it around

(2) an overflow outlet located somewhere so that rain water doesn't fill the barrel high enough to push the styrofoam out of the barrel.

snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote:

Reply to
dps