Re: The slaughter of cucumbers

buy them at your local farmer's market........;P madgardener

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net) wrote in

1. Select the most disease-resistant variety you can find (if you know what diseases affect your area the most, concentrate on those diseases). Both hybrid and open pollinated varieties can be found. A good source is Johnny's Seeds (http://www.johnnyseeds.com ).
2. Cover the hills/row with fine mesh row cover material. This will keep the bugs away. Remember that when the vines start to blossom, you will need to open the material to allow insects in to move the pollen from the male to the female flowers.
3. Use organic deterrant sprays (garlic or hot pepper based). Neem oil sprays are also something you could try.

Cheaters don't win.

Shee**t, Marilyn, are you trying to tell me that you gave in to an itty, bitty, ol' bug? :) Okay, I'll admit that I did last year, but I have kept my cucumbers producing this year by using a water, isopropyl alcohol, ultra-fine pesticidal oil spray on them, which also works for white flies. Those miserable cucumber beetles hate the stuff.
The commercial cucumbers in stores and at the farmers' markets are almost as bad as the commercially grown tomatoes. They stink! :(
John