Re: Should I fill hole in tree?

If you are worried about water collecting in the bottom of the "pocket", you could try drilling a small drainage hole at the bottom of it. But really, why not just go with the flow and have the tree taken down. If the current damage heals, you are still vulnerable in any future storm. What would you rather have five years from now, a struggling, mis-shaped Bradford pear waiting for the next storm, that's still lifting the sidewalk, or an attractive replacement tree just reaching it's stride?
I'm as sentimental about plants, especially trees, as the next person, but sometimes you have to make the leap of faith and remove a specimen that's not working out. I lost a large plum tree in a thunderstorm years ago, and was heartbroken, but the tree I replaced it with (a zelkova) has worked out much better in that spot, and the experience has taught me to try and be objective.
Cheers, Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net
Zone 6, Southcentral PA
snipped-for-privacy@aroma-massage.com says... :) The water that collects will stop air from geting to bacteria :) and help, not hurt. Add mosquito dunks if necessary. :) :) Won't what you gain by stopping the bacterial problems be lost by the interior wood fungal problem created by the trapped water?
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com says... :) bacteria live in water or extremely moist conditions, fungi in less moist conditions. :) :) :) Less moist as in wood above the water line a bit that the wood has absorbed enough moisture suitable for the fungi to develop.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl_b.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:06:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

Keith For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp . For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com /
I would put the concrete in the hole. It will make the pears a little harder. :)