Re: Sawdust as mulch

My husband needs sawdust for a building project and will have a lot left

>over. Is sawdust suitable to use for a mulch to keep weeds down under >quaking aspen? > >Karen >

It will work.

Reply to
Phisherman

"AnonnyMoose" wrote in news:vm75bvlpkr2qd8 @corp.supernews.com:

Won't the sawdust be apt to blow away? I would think you'd need a pretty thick pile to inhibit weeds from pushing through from below. I'd also be concerned about insects and nitrogen leeching, but I really don't know anything.

- S

Reply to
Salty Thumb

I would mix the sawdust with leaves and lawn clipping and then wet it down. This will "loosen" up the mix so that it decomposes better than if you just lay it down by itself where it will be a dense mat . The absolute best places in my yard are where I put my leaves in the fall (all under my trees in the shade garden area). The ground feels like a super padded carpet and I can literally run my fingers through the soil. I put my kitty litter which is made of compressed pine sawdust under my shrubs where it won't be something that I (or someone else) ends up digging in. So far that has worked fine by itself but I do worry about it not composting as it should and it does not keep down the weeds as well as the leaves and deep wood chips. DKat

Reply to
dkat

Heidi

dkat wrote:

[...]

As a wood worker I use the sawdust in my beds all the time . Stay away from using Walnut sawdust and Camphor wood dust. I cut down a Camphor tree in my yard and used the stump grindings to ammend one of my garden beds. BIG MISTAKE ! Now not even weeds will grow there. Time to do some serious digging to get the rototilled in Camphor wood bark out of the bed ! I love to garden, but my lower back pain get's in the way. Beer and Vicodin seems to help, but what a way to live?

Reply to
FOW