Re: Runner Beans (Phaseolus coccineus) - digging-up and storing

I don't know what the answer is, but I have also read that scarlet runner beans are perennial in their place of origin, which I presume is somewhere in Mexico. However, at least one of my sources says that they are most productive in their first year, so I don't know if there is any benefit to trying to winter them over.

al wrote: : Umm... If one digs up Runner Beans at the end of their season and : stores over the winter, do the plants retain their vigour. I do not : know of any gardeners who treat Runners as perennial. I have only : read about the practice. I am curious to hear from anyone who treats : Runners as perennial.
Sounds like you live in a cold area because down here in Plymouth they will keep quite nicely if you leave them where they are, in the ground
Robert The Devil's Advocate snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com www.pafc.co.uk