Re: Rock garden w/herbs - QUESTIONS

New to the North Carolina area. Dorothy

New to *what* area? > > Dave > > > Well..., Let me start off by saying I'm new to this area. I used to live > in > > Florida where practically EVERYTHING grows!! > > > > Santa brought me a rock garden this year and I've been planting it with > > herbs [mostly], it's on a > > slight hill. Questions. > > > > 1. What can I plant between the stone steps. I have direct sun for most > of > > the day. I tried Elfin Thyme and it was fine for a while, but now it > dying. > > Maybe Sedum? > > > > 2. I put pine needles down, but it's all washed down to the bottom of the > > slope. Should I put bark or something heavier down? The herbs have to > fill > > in alot of places yet.... having some soil erosion problems. > > > > 3. I've planted 4 different thymes, lavender, mint, Russian sage, sage, > > rosemary, basil, and oregano. And it's wonderful to pick fresh herbs to > cook > > with!! Do you think they will survive the winter? I'm in Zone 6. > [Concord, > > NC] Would it help to "cover" them when the bad weather comes? > > > > Here's a photo.. if your interested > > > > Thanks In Advance. > > Dorothy > > > > > > > >
Reply to
Amberbock

I'm sure somebody's going to complain about you posting the picture, but I found it pretty helpful. This isn't a binaries newsgroup, so most people post pictures on their personal websites and put a link to the website in their message. Not everybody has fast internet connections to be able to download pictures with the messages. Thyme would normally be a great bet there. Ajuga would spread quickly; it's not an herb, but it's very attractive and it will help attract bees. Just don't let it dry out. Sedum should do fine.

Again, pine needles will be your best bet for slopes. Straw washes the least of any mulch, save rocks. If the needles are washing, bark will wash that much faster.

Yes, yes, yes. And that's a great selection. Have you tried lemon balm or bronze fennel?

Reply to
dementia13

Hey Amberbock, Question; why are you using pine needles? Do you need to acidify the soil? Bark mulch would probably be ok, but I think, since it's on a slope and is a rock garden, you might consider small rocks such as river rock or gravel or even white pebbles. Start a collection of statues, Japanese rock art, or add a small fountain. That might be cool. Hope this helps. J.Lane

Reply to
J. Lane