Re: Questions on veg / peach tree and need plans for above ground planting boxs (large)

What's all the fuss about?

Sounds as if you have similar weather to what we have in the UK.So veg to grow for or through winter include. Winter cabbage, Spring cabbage, Broccoli, Winter cauliflower, carrots. Swedes, parsnips. turnips, Leeks, Broad beans (sown Sept/Oct to crop May)Kole rabi,

Reply to
David Hill

If I recall correctly, Vancouver Island gets snow almost every winter, but the ground generally doesn't freeze? If that's correct, and you can achieve good drainage, you might want to look to a winter crop of cruciforms [cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.] or cold-hardy root vegetables such as radishes or carrots. You do need to realize that this is very iffy, though. In Bellingham, it used to get cold enough about one winter in five that we lost the winter veggies. Your best bet for the kind of information you need is a local gardening club, or your local agricultural office.

Chris Owens

Brock Bailey wrote:

> I was woundering whictch veg would be better to grow in the winter and I > live in the pacific northwest on vancouver island where we get alot of mixed > weather durning winter...any good website you can advise me of or books? > > I'am also interseted in planting a peach tree and some other garden plants > to but I'am also intrested in getting plans for an above ground planter box > which are very large and can build out of wood for my patio.. > > thanks for your suggestions or help.. > > Brock R Bailey > 110-1009 Mckenzie Ave > Victoria BC Canada > V8X 4B1 > > snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca
Reply to
Chris Owens