Re: Pruning Trees

Agreed .... Another change that recently has come out is where exactly to prune. They used to tell you to prune as close to the trunk as you can and this is a big NO now. If you look at the branch, you can almost detect what you might think of as the turtleneck of where the branch meets the trunk (a slight thickening like a collar). You want to cut near this but such that you are not damaging the cells of this "collar" so outside of where the collar is but not so far away that you have wood that is going to die and rot and form a barrier for the collar to grow over. On a large branch this collar can be an inch or more thick so you are leaving a nub of sorts off of the main branch. If you have done it right, it is amazing how quickly it heals over.
DKat

What tree company said to use shellac? That is incredible. The recommendations to leave pruned areas bare is at least 15 years old!
No competent arborist or even accomplished amateur would tell you to use shellac on a fresh cut.
JMHO
John
I don't want to say, it is a huge North American company, I'm sure you have heard of it. Of course, it was just one of their Arborists, not indicative of the company's approach, I guess! <g>

Ian wrote:

Why not say?
USDA Zone 8b
Thanks for giving me a question for the guys who are going to cut my trees. I chose a company with a certified arborist, hoping they would know what they are doing. What I need is to have branches cut that are overhanging the roof. They are making a mess in the gutters. Maples. I get the estimate on Friday.
Marilyn in Ohio
On 10 Sep 2003 12:07:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Allview) wrote:

bad idea in many cases, depending on how much tree that represents) you probably will not have any luck keeping the gutters completely clean (wind will be a factor). Why not save the (likely several hundred) dollars and pay someone to clean the gutters periodically? You can also get screens of various types to cover the gutters. They can do a pretty good job of keeping the debris out, though you will probably need to maintain them occasionally.
Remember that a healthy, attractive tree can add significantly to your quality of life and your property value (and decrease cooling costs in summer), while an ugly or maltreated tree can create more problems and detract from property values.
just a suggestion,
Keith For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp . For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com /