Re: OT- Generators

Isabel did a number on me with 4 days loss of power and no water due to >well.

>My plans are to wait a week and visit Home Depot and get them to hook me up >(buy generator and installation). >Wonder if anyone has comments? I thought of this ng because last week I >took in my lawnboy for repair and they were swamped with generator and sump >pump repairs. I've heard Honda is reliable and quiet but expensive. >Frank >

First do an energy acessment to see just what size generator you need or rather can get by with. Consider how functions can be interchanged--you do not really have to have your well pump hooked up all the time-power could be diverted to the refrigerator while the pump is idle--get a flexible hook up which allows you to plug in and plug out appliances. Get an extended run generator with a large tank and keep enough gas on hand to cover several days. Get Stabil additivefor the gas since it may be stored a long time.

Reply to
Frankhartx

Perhaps a monthly or quarterly generator run to confirm it's ststus?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

All good comments.

However, waiting a week is not likely to be long enough. Once all the generators are snapped up in an area it's likely to be a couple of months before you can find what you want. This should be considered a long term plan so don't rush into it and just buy the first thing that's available.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

HD in my area is featuring a high end generator that runs on natural gas. The unit can be set to fire up on a regular schedule and has self-diagnostics. I think that if I were in an area that had frequent outages or the potential for a prolonged outage I would consider one of these. I can't remember a time that we lost natural gas service.

Reply to
Vox Humana

As one who went for over 8 years with only a generator for electric, together with tank Gas(Propane I think) used for lighting heating and cooking. The price of Petrol (as we call what you call gas) got just to much when the price got to over 85 pence($1.4) per litre. What ever make you get make sure that you can get it serviced/repaired locally and fast, no waiting for parts to come from some place the other side of the world.

Reply to
David Hill

Not necessarily. If the generator is sited outside as the propane canisters will be, you may be in for a surprise. Lots of people here in Baltimore have contaminated houses, wells, & local waterways due to propane tanks that broke loose & floated away.

Reply to
Betsy

Good comments to help me zero in on solving potential future outages. I'm sure I will not get generator for a couple of months as region is probably sold out. I'm just aiming at setting ball in motion by deciding system, backordering etc. Figure salesman are backed up with requests to just talk to them. We don't have natural gas service and house heated with oil - rest electric -well, hot water..... Propane would be possibility if 5 gal tanks might suffice. I already have 2 for grill. I'll have to calculate my minimum needs and gas/propane consumption. I have ideal spot for generator but fuel storage, particularly propane, would be a problem. I'll need enough service for well, furnace, refrigerator and freezer and some amenities like TV. I'm not looking for a generator to match my 200 amp service and don't want to create more problems than the outages we have. As I've decided not to even start inquiring for a week, any further comments are welcome. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Reply to
Jerry Minasi

Another thought or two:

Since (presumably) the system will be inoperative for months at a time, you might consider a diesel system instead of gasoline-based. The diesel fuel will keep better than gas, is readily available and is safer to store.

Someone mentioned that their propane tanks floated away. Of course your gasoline or diesel containers would do the same thing. Store them higher than the generator. If they float away, you won't be able to use the generator anyway because it will be under water.

Noise from the generator:

You're only using it for extended periods of time during emergencies, right? Your neighbors should understand that there's an emergency under way. Maintenance operations will be of short duration and to keep peace with the neighbors, offer to consult with them on their own emergency plan.

If everyone in your neighborhood gets a generator, maybe you could set up regular maintenance dates/times so that everyone generates noise at the same time, rather than multiplying annoyances. Your neighbor's generator will be making so much noise that he won't hear yours.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

There are things that love to grow in diesel fuel, so keeping it for long periods of time might be worse then gasoline.

Reply to
Retiredff

We live on the side of a hill and if we are flooded, 90% of the state of Delaware would be under water. Neighbor in back brought home a diesel from his contractors business, it was huge and noisy and he probably could have hooked up other neighbors. It was noisy here when power was off and when it came on was even noisier because everybody's burglar alarms went off. My wife is concerned about being bothered by our own noise but where I'm setting up, I doubt if it would bother us. Guy across street has a noisy one and he annoys neighbors even when not using his generator ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Hubby & Brother-in-Law checked these out at Home Depot and we're getting one that runs on propane but having it installed by our private electrician. Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Reply to
SAS567

-- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http:// snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address

Reply to
Roy

Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http:// snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address

Reply to
Roy

I think you are mistaking fuel oil tanks for propane tanks.

Reply to
Retiredff