Re: OT- Generators

can get by with. Consider how functions can be interchanged--you do not really have to have your well pump hooked up all the time-power could be diverted to the refrigerator while the pump is idle--get a flexible hook up which allows you to plug in and plug out appliances. Get an extended run generator with a large tank and keep enough gas on hand to cover several days. Get Stabil additivefor the gas since it may be stored a long time.

Perhaps a monthly or quarterly generator run to confirm it's ststus?
--
Reply to me at louis little punctuation mark ohland with the same ISP

Louis Ohland wrote:

All good comments.
However, waiting a week is not likely to be long enough. Once all the generators are snapped up in an area it's likely to be a couple of months before you can find what you want. This should be considered a long term plan so don't rush into it and just buy the first thing that's available.

HD in my area is featuring a high end generator that runs on natural gas. The unit can be set to fire up on a regular schedule and has self-diagnostics. I think that if I were in an area that had frequent outages or the potential for a prolonged outage I would consider one of these. I can't remember a time that we lost natural gas service.

sure I will not get generator for a couple of months as region is probably sold out. I'm just aiming at setting ball in motion by deciding system, backordering etc. Figure salesman are backed up with requests to just talk to them. We don't have natural gas service and house heated with oil - rest electric -well, hot water..... Propane would be possibility if 5 gal tanks might suffice. I already have 2 for grill. I'll have to calculate my minimum needs and gas/propane consumption. I have ideal spot for generator but fuel storage, particularly propane, would be a problem. I'll need enough service for well, furnace, refrigerator and freezer and some amenities like TV. I'm not looking for a generator to match my 200 amp service and don't want to create more problems than the outages we have. As I've decided not to even start inquiring for a week, any further comments are welcome. Frank

that runs on propane but having it installed by our private electrician. Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
As one who went for over 8 years with only a generator for electric, together with tank Gas(Propane I think) used for lighting heating and cooking. The price of Petrol (as we call what you call gas) got just to much when the price got to over 85 pence($1.4) per litre. What ever make you get make sure that you can get it serviced/repaired locally and fast, no waiting for parts to come from some place the other side of the world.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

I would not think that is a really a problem. You could liive on the top of a mountain anbd have a tree fall on your propane tank as well. Just how did a propane tank contaminate waterways. If the water is up that high, then odds are your gen set is also in water, and no matter what powers it, its history.

-- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address

I think you are mistaking fuel oil tanks for propane tanks.
Check out: http://www.mitsubishi-generator.com / I bought a Mitsubishi 4800KW Generator locally because of the immediate need, no time to wait for shipping. I paid $1500. Could have bought the same for $1200 if I could have waited. Jerry
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:52:30 GMT, "Frank Logullo"

Another thought or two:
Since (presumably) the system will be inoperative for months at a time, you might consider a diesel system instead of gasoline-based. The diesel fuel will keep better than gas, is readily available and is safer to store.
Someone mentioned that their propane tanks floated away. Of course your gasoline or diesel containers would do the same thing. Store them higher than the generator. If they float away, you won't be able to use the generator anyway because it will be under water.
Noise from the generator:
You're only using it for extended periods of time during emergencies, right? Your neighbors should understand that there's an emergency under way. Maintenance operations will be of short duration and to keep peace with the neighbors, offer to consult with them on their own emergency plan.
If everyone in your neighborhood gets a generator, maybe you could set up regular maintenance dates/times so that everyone generates noise at the same time, rather than multiplying annoyances. Your neighbor's generator will be making so much noise that he won't hear yours.
Dwight Sipler wrote:

There are things that love to grow in diesel fuel, so keeping it for long periods of time might be worse then gasoline.

Delaware would be under water. Neighbor in back brought home a diesel from his contractors business, it was huge and noisy and he probably could have hooked up other neighbors. It was noisy here when power was off and when it came on was even noisier because everybody's burglar alarms went off. My wife is concerned about being bothered by our own noise but where I'm setting up, I doubt if it would bother us. Guy across street has a noisy one and he annoys neighbors even when not using his generator ;) Frank
Just becasue its diesel doe snot mean the fuel will last longer. Here in the south microbs anbd bacteria, and algae grows in stored diesel in just a few months. It causes filters to block and injectors to clog, and is actually harder to remedy than stale gas is.
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:21:05 -0400, Dwight Sipler