Re: Organic Corn Kills Butterflies??? what the?

I wish Mayor Guilianni would run for president. I'd have to campaign for him. Yes, he's republican, but after seeing what that man did with New York and how he cleaned that place up to be a much better city...I'd vote for him in a heartbeat for president.

Reply to
animaux

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com expounded:

never before have the farmers got so little for their milk at the same time milk

Never mind what those hormones are doing to our little girls. Really, people, we don't know what we're doing, and our arrogance makes us think we can do anything we want. We're destroying the very web of life and most fail to recognize what is really going on. Blinded by making money.

Reply to
Ann

"........

"Somalis recognize four seasons, two rainy (gu and day) and two dry (jiilaal and hagaa). The gu rains begin in April and last until June, producing a fresh supply of pasture and for a brief period turning the desert into a flowering garden. Lush vegetation covers most of the land, especially the central grazing plateau where grass grows tall. Milk and meat abound, water is plentiful, and animals do not require much care."

The first Paragraph which you forgot to quote says..............

"Climate is the primary factor in much of Somali life. For the large nomadic population, the timing and amount of rainfall are crucial determinants of the adequacy of grazing and the prospects of relative prosperity. During droughts such as occurred during 1974-75 and 1984-85, starvation can occur. There are some indications that the climate has become drier in the last century and that the increase in the number of people and animals has put a growing burden on water and vegetation. "

And for really up to date info try....

-- David Hill Abacus nurseries

David Hill

The breeding has to stop. We have too many people on the planet. It's really that simple. We are overpopulated and eventually it will all collapse in on itself and start over again in another million years.

Reply to
animaux

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Marley1372) expounded:

No one is at all confused about that.

Reply to
Ann

in every country where

  1. women get an education
  2. women work outside the home
  3. medical care almost guarantees all children live p>>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Then why does the populstion of the U.S. continue to grow? Just wondering.

Reply to
free dog

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nowhereonearth.duh says... :) Well... evidently the :) GM corn's pollen contains something due to this gene that then gets blown :) all over the milkweed that the butterflies frequent and, get this, it alters :) the gut of the butterfly turning into more of a sieve than protecting it and :) thus allowing pathogens to be released into the butterfly's body. :) :) If it is all about the Monarch then the choices are the pollen of the genetically altered corn effecting one generation of caterpillar within 200 feet of the crop that is in it's two weeks phase of pollination and the pollen can be washed off by rain, or having crops treated with a BT insecticide that is designed to adhere to the plant thus lasting longer and will need several applications throughout the growing season causing harm to several generations of larvae or having the crop treated several times in the growing season with a non selective insecticide not only possibly killing Monarch larvae but adults and many other type of non target insects.

Reply to
Lar

Except the originator of this thread

Reply to
Frankhartx

I didn't pay too much attention to it, all I remember was Ross Perot and Sr. Bush "NAFTA this NAFTA that", so I look it up and found that picture. Seems more like his foster-child than baby, but whatever.

-- Salty

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.wi.rr.com:

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Then why when I was growing up there were 3 billion people, and now there are 5 billion?

Reply to
animaux

Well, genetically modified corn has incorporated a gene that self-produces that Bt toxin that organic farmers use as a pesticide. The trouble is, when the corn pollinates, the pollen spread far and wide, and yes, can kill monarch butterflies. Or many other insects it encounters.

Corn is not the only thing to contain that gene - there are varieties of GM potatoes and soybeans that also carry it.

It is my understanding that genetically modified food is not considered organic, though. Am I wrong?

Back in 1998 the New York Times had a very interesting article about GM food. YOu can read it here:

.

Reply to
Shannon

For awhile there, you had me fooled Ingrid! I really thought you were a genius, knowing so much about so many subjects! But of course, like anyone so sure of herself, you ultimately dissapoint. It is clear you do not know everything about everything, and we must now hold all of your opinions suspect. You are not paying a "usurious" price for milk. It is quite possible you pay more for bottled water! The dairy surplus is not "huge" as that industry is particularly burdened by inelasticity of demand with respect to price. The prices are now moving back up nicely, after a 24 month disaster caused by the 2000 farm bill. No dairyman really likes rBGH, but a free market will not allow producers to just choose whatever technology they wish. Most dairymen use it sparingly, or sporadicaly: for example, on either pregnant cows in late lactation or on infertile cows destined for hamburger. Technology used in this way has kept your food very cheap. I first produced milk for about $5.00 per cwt. in 1972 when a good car cost $3500, and you could buy a nice

never before have the farmers got so little for their milk at the same time milk

Reply to
Darwin Vander Stelt

"E. Norma Stitz"

Reply to
LeeAnne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Frogleg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Assuming that Bt corn is still only being used for animal feed, it would seem that this issue is not about feeding people, but about increasing the profit margins of meat producers.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

US pop. 291,792,888 world pop. 6,311,633,230
70% of population growth in the U.S., and over 96% in California, is caused by mass immigration.
"Women in the United States are having more children than at any time in almost

30 years, according to the latest Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) birth statistics released today by HHS Secretary Tommy G. Thompson. In 2000, the average number of children born to women over a lifetime was 2.1, according to a new CDC report, "Births: Final Data for 2000." During most of the 1970s and 1980s women gave birth to fewer than two children on average, a rate insufficient to replace the population (2.1 is considered the population's replacement level). "

"Among Hispanic women, the total fertility rate (3.1) was higher than the national rate, with the highest rates for Mexican women (3.3) and Puerto Rican women (2.6) and the lowest for Cuban women (1.9). "

the highest immigration is from Mexico, and women from Mexico have all the risk factors for having a lot of children, poverty, the experience of few children surviving their first year, little to no education, only crappy jobs available. Their daughters born in the US will look a lot more like typical Americans in number of kids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I been to NY a few times, wouldnt want to live there altho my DH did and my in laws did at one time. there is research showing that green spaces and plants of all kinds have a tremendous effect on quality of life. No city should be without them. the point is not to give up and say "it is a huge city". it needs more green BECAUSE it is a huge city. However, that issue was picked simply cause it was first in the line and had a garden theme. There was constant commentary on TV about how disliked he was before 9-11. Nothing about his wonderful achievements.

"He was yesterday's man. His awkward, abrasive character was foreground, his achievements obscured. In the summer, he had become a lead player in a Whitehall farce of marital mayhem: Rudy chooses a press conference to tell his wife, Donna, he is leaving her for another woman, Judith. Donna calls her own press conference, then kicks Rudy out of the official home."

that sums up the impressi>Ingrid, no disrespect, but NYC is not the place to move if gardening is your

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

several applications of Bt are not used. in many (most?) fields application is not needed at all. spraying of anything is not done unless there is an explosion of pests in a field because spraying for a few pests is not cost effective. So most fields of corn do not get sprayed.

hav>If it is all about the Monarch then the choices are the