Re: Organic Corn Kills Butterflies??? what the?

Page 1 of 3
Wow, and pretty disturbed by it and the whole GM (genetically modified) movement. Turns out that, according to one site, the GM corn contains a certain gene that protects it from some type of pest. Well... evidently the GM corn's pollen contains something due to this gene that then gets blown all over the milkweed that the butterflies frequent and, get this, it alters the gut of the butterfly turning into more of a sieve than protecting it and thus allowing pathogens to be released into the butterfly's body.
You can read more here: http://barque.freeyellow.com/monarch.html
What disturbs me the most is the fact that we are all probably eating GM products and have no clue that we are since they mix it in w/regular food and the regular food folks aren't allowed to call their food 'regular' food or non-GM. Yikes!!!
LeeAnne -who doesn't usually answer her own questions- -yes you do- -no I don't- -stop it- -stop what?- lol

"Organic
it
It's all bullshit. Monarch butterflies are nowhere near corn when it pollinates.
LeeAnne wrote:

Yeah, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there's still pollen hanging around from the Cretaceous Period either. If you can't connect the dots yourself, ask for someone to draw you a picture.
-- Salty

I wouldn't exactly say it's BS - I did read on another site that the study I had originally read was conducted in a lab and not in the field so the results may actually be different.
Either way, I would like to know what the hell I'm eating.
LeeAnne
I think I read somewhere that the new 'breeds' of GMO corn are now being created to be sterile? That they grow when the farmer plants them and thats it, no more new plants from the left-over or dropped seeds. Any truth to this?
Thx BLueCoBra
service.net> wrote:

I dont know. it cant be to create sterile pollen (I would imagine that would stop the pollen from being a problem) fertilized seed that is = corn. unfertilized seed will not "plump" and grow into a kernel. or maybe they can get around that ... maybe sterile pollen produces the tubes and simulates fertilization. however, sterile would certainly be a goal since it would force farmers to buy their GMO seeds from the company every year. Right now all that GMO pollen can fertilize non-GMO corn and the seed if saved and used the next year would produce GMO corn.. and not a penny to Monsanto. Ingrid

Right now all that GMO pollen can fertilize non-GMO corn and

a penny to

I have read that monsanto has the possibility of sueing anyone growing their patented corn without paying monsanto royalties. Could they end up collecting for most of the corn grown over time?
Bob

Someone should put up a butterfly garden in the middle of corn country, and then sue the hell out of Monsanto if/when all the caterpillars die. Wind may be an "Act of God", but genetically modified pollen is not.
-- Salty
snipped-for-privacy@notsogreenthumb.fake says... :) Someone should put up a butterfly garden in the middle of corn country, :) and then sue the hell out of Monsanto if/when all the caterpillars die. :) Wind may be an "Act of God", but genetically modified pollen is not. :) :) You would have to plant it closer than 200 feet to the corn probably putting you on private property to begin with.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

That's why the europeans are risking a tradewar with the US to keep the foodchains GM-free. I think it won't be too long before it will start to dawn on your citizens that their food-economy is now addicted to GM. (The tradewar btw will probably mean that you will not be able to buy GM- free food from overseas, if you would want that for some reason).
Ursa..
--
==================================
Ursa (Major)/ mailto: snipped-for-privacy@iname.com \ *-*-* *

there is a huuuuge difference between GMO(genetically modifyed organism) corn and "organic corn". They are not the same thing.
Toad

corn
REALLY? I'm sure glad you told us that.
Bob
On 13 Aug 2003 23:24:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Marley1372) wrote:

Ya, I think many of us know that. I was saying the person who originally posted this topic may have misread. It is the GMO corn which has Bt-k built in, is killing butterflies. This is not new information.
(Marley1372) wrote:

Assuming that Bt corn is still only being used for animal feed, it would seem that this issue is not about feeding people, but about increasing the profit margins of meat producers.
-- Salty

If it's a situation where Monsanto and their serfs want to move to Kansas and turn it into a Dust Bowl for some spare change, I'd just as soon stand in their way.
-- Salty
I wonder if the corn borers could become resistant to a natural organism? Which, to my understanding is what the Bt is - a bacteria that affects only the borer? Much like those mosquito dunks you use in ponds -- it affects only the mosquito larvae - I think it's also some type of Bt. If I am wrong, please correct me.
LeeAnne
companies

time.
years and then

using it

the natural organism, bacteria, is capable of mutation unlike the protein inserted into the corn. Yes, if the Bt is over used without letting resistant borers interbreed with sensitive ones, they could become resistant. however, dont know how much the specific toxic protein can change. lets say resistant corn borers are everywhere and if somebody does isolate a new Bt that corn borer is not resistant to, then how much will the company charge farmers for the new improved and patented version? right now Bt is cheap. compare that with Bt israeli which is the variation used against mosquitoes. yes, it also kills midges, so not 100% specific. Ingrid

In a simple one word answer, yes.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Marley1372) expounded:

No one is at all confused about that.
--