Re: new owner of a japanese maple needs help!

I have a Japanese Maple Tree that is not looking so good. The leaves are dry, a little curly, and look like they are missing something. The color is not as deep a red as when I first got it.
I normally water my garden in the morning shortly before the sun comes up, but I only water the base of the japanese maple. I don't want the leaves to burn. Is there a proper way to water it? Should I water it in the evening so I can get the leaves wet? Does it need some sort of fertilizer. I think I have it in a good spot. Near the house, part shade/sun (about 4 hrs of direct sunlight) not much wind.
if this is a recently planted tree it is transplant shock, too much top growth, too few roots sucking water for it. dissectums (finely divided leaves) are very touchy. I have had the best luck with mine in zone 5 by having it on the north side of a little greenhouse out of wind and sun. it is in a pot but does not gets watered every day. dont fertilize. check the ground for moisture before watering. at this point I would definitely try some "cloud cover" or antidessicant spray. and maybe put up some shade cloth to keep direct sun off the leaves. Ingrid