Re: Need recommendation for new engine for Troy-Bilt Horse Tiller

manifold bolts, If the latter two it may pay you to repair. I prefer Briggs myself, they are readily available and the replacement is easy. http://www.northerntool.com/ is a good place to comparison shop although I have foud the local TSC comparable when shipping costs are considered, Most "Horses used a 7 hp, but judge by your 6, Could you have used more power? Another route is a used engine but the horizotal shaft engines are not used that much anymore and may be more difficult to find, New a 6,5 hp Briggs Intek I/C will run $300- 400 depending on the setup. a 6.5 hp Honda about $450 and an 8 hp Tecumseh about $325
The old cast iron Tecumsehs were great engines, nothing like the junk (IMHO) that they produce today. I would suspect that if you only need a carb replaced it is gonna cost you almost as much as a new engine that is complete. I had a OHV Tec 5hp that needed a carb, and it was over 101.00 for the carb alone......but you could buy an entire fully assembled motor for a little over $165. Makes you wonder. If it was me I would probably buy a new B & S or Kohler engine and get rid of the 20 year old motor. You can get some pretty nice I/C type B & S OHV motors that should bolt up or come pretty close to fitting for under $225.00 new in the box. I see someone already pointed you to Northern tool, however these folks are like Harbor Freight......and odds are don't carry parts etc, but places like Tulsa Small Engine and Small Eng Dist does, and they also carry a larger selection of motors and these people know engines, as thats what they deal in, engines. Small engine distributors is also a greatplace with a large selection and good prices. If you want to go all out, get a Honda, but it will cost more than any Briggs will. Stay away from the consumer grade Hondas, as they are nothing like the commercial grade Honda motors. The Consumer grade is a model type GX and the commercial grade is a GC. Measure your crankshaft diam, and also your 4 bolt mount pattern, The crank diameter is the main concern though. The folks at either of these two places can make a recomendation if you send them an email or give em a call, and can tell you what motors will fit and what would be best.
Robin also makes a super long life engine that runs with the Hondas, it used to be Wisconsin at one time, now its Subaru/Robin. If you can go larger it would be better, but what you run into is that these smaller motors are lumped into different classes, and each hp class increases in mount size as well as crankshaft diameter. Crank diameter is what is going to be the determining factor above all else, as the mount on a tiller can be redrilled if need be, but most are standard bolt patterns, in a given class. You may be able to step up to a B&S 6.5hp without making any mods to your tiller at all, and shold be a bolt up fit.
http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com /
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com /
On 10 Sep 2003 19:02:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (FarmerDill) wrote:

-- Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address
On 10 Sep 2003 19:02:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (FarmerDill) wrote: A 6.5hp OHV B & S Intek will bolt right up in place of the Tecumseh you now have. Its a recomended replacement engine for the 6hp Troybuilts, and will run you $225, plus shipping. I live about 175 miles or less from Hotlanta (Central Alabama), and my 6.5 intek cost me $22.00 in shipping from this place about 2 months ago. I used it on a home made logsplitter. No need to pay a mechanic, as its just a couple of nuts and bolts thats required to swap a motor out, really basic simple wrench turning. http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN 1432
Your reference to a block I assume you mean a short block. They are no longer available for the motor yoou have unless you happen to stumble on new old stock somewhere and then it will cost you more in the long run, and you will still need a carb, and assorted other parts off your old engine. Best bet is to upgrade with a better engine and new life at this stage of the game. Don't you have a website with you along a long row of firewood? Your user name rings a bell, and IIRC chatted with you in a rural living newsgroup a few years back. Regards

-- Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address
I jus replaced the engine on by BCS, it had 10HP Allen (Italian) with a 13HP OHV Honda. it has So much more power, makes the old 10Hp seem like 5Hp,,, not too mention SO much easier starting! Good luck!,,,, Ed 2c,,,, in CA,,, :-)
snip - snip

The BCS has a lil 6 speed transmission, so you have 5 forward speeds and a Hi/Lo selection,, for each,,, (6th is for transporting),,, 1st in Lo range,, is a crawl, with tines not so no running behind, hands off walk beside, grab swallow of coffee, hands back on,,, not ah prolem so far,,, :-) Ed's,,, 2c ,,,,