Re: ??Murray Riding Mower?? Please Help with your Opinions

Do you think its cheap to fix them cause there are so many of them out there....and hence a big availability of "parts"?
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I can't speak about the riding mowers/tractors, but I can share my experience.
I had been getting royally fed up with spending $125 each year at the local repair shop for my old Toro. The final straw was when it had to go in twice in two months at $125 each time. [It turns out the repair shop has problems getting employees who don't put the till up their nose, but that's another issue...]
I was at Wal-Mart for something else, and saw that they had a Murray for $90. I bought it, over my Significant Other's protests that I shouldn't waste my money on such a cheap piece of junk. She wasn't convinced by my counter-argument that if it worked for just one year before it broke and I discarded it, it was $35 cheaper than fixing the old one.
Well, it's 5 years later. I have abused that Murray terribly. I've never cleaned it. It's still on its original spark plug and oil. I haven't even bothered to put in gas stabilizer or drain the tank.
And, guess what? Come the start of spring, I top off the tank with fresh gas, push the carb spritzer button a few times, pull the cord...and it starts!
It may be a cheap piece of junk, but it's a reliable piece of junk. And it cuts the grass. It does not have multiple speeds or motor assist on the wheels, but so what. It just works.
One thing did break on it; the plastic handle on the pull cord. A dab of superglue and that problem was fixed.
That Murray was the best $90 I've spent.
-- Mark --
http://staff.washington.edu/mrc Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate. Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Pacem non mucro ensis erumpit immo sanguinem potest.