Re: Moss in lawns

Generally speaking moss is indicitive of acidified soil, shade, and sometimes soil compaction. Here in the Midatlantic Region, it is a continual chore to maintain a pH in a range in which turf grasses thrive and mosses do not.

Dave

What is the cause of moss growing in lawns. I have areas that seem to > like to grow it and others that have no signs of it. Does it normally > like to grow in alkaline or acid soils? Is it beneficial or best to > get rid of it? Most of my grass is centipede growing in shade, with > very sandy soil. > -- > Visit my website: >
Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. > Regards > Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye > Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. > Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address
Reply to
David J Bockman

Moss likes acid, wet, and shade. IME, if you have any two of the three conditions, some species of moss will be happy to colonize. Personally, I just leave it alone; but, then, my lawn is definitively multi-species. It forms a nice green, low-care layer under trees.

Chris Owens

Roy Hauer wrote:

Reply to
Chris Owens