Re: @#*%!^ mosquitos

As long as the water is stagnant (not moving) and there is something for the mosquito larvae to eat (plant matter at the least) mommy mosquito and her friends are going to find it. When I have buckets of rain water out, there are never any mosquito larvae in the clear water, but usually plenty where the water is dirty and/or have bits of plants in the water.
Have you thought about planting lemongrass? I don't know if it's a mosquito control, but I had a couple of roots in a cut open milk jug once and found several dead mosquitos in the puddle after it rained. I had used Bt mosquito dunks the year before (though I don't know if those work on adults) but I don't think they were ever in contact with the lemongrass or jug.
- Salty

I just emptied my rain barrel, and there were mosquito larvae by the tens of thousands (teaches me to be a laggard). I also mow quite high, which helps them (but I have a decent looking lawn without any care). I suppose a couple of minnows from the bait shop, placed in the barrel, would take care of them ... I may try it next year.
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (simy1) wrote in

When I was a kid, I heard that applying a thin layer of oil to the surface of the water would cause the mosquito larvae to suffocate. I haven't heard the same recently, so maybe it's bad advice.
works in still water. use veggie oil, not diesel. but aeration also works.

They all become dead (and our water loses its filter) when we run around draining all the wetland. West Nile affects just the birds in that group. Funny think Ingrid, I don't consider myself an environmentalist in the more recent sense of the word, but this trend drives me crazy.
Bill C.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:57:27 GMT, "Bill C."

West Nile virus is carried by mosquitoes and affects many species, incl. humans. It can be fatal. This isn't (much) justification for wholesale pesticide spraying or (has anyone actually suggested this?!) draining all wetlands, but it is *not* an inconsequential problem. I live in a wetland-rich (read "damp") area where mosquitoes are a perennial problem and widespread aerial spraying is done every year. The spraying schedule is announced ahead of time, and beekeepers are advised when to protect their hives. I guess butterflies just have to listen to the news and dive under a leaf. West Nile has been ID'd here, as well as many cases of Eastern Equine Encephalitis, which also (rarely) affects humans. Like so many of life's problems, there are few simple solutions.
Frogleg:

Draining of all wetlands, probably not, but there is a real trend to drain "swamps" around human habitation because of West Nile. The problem is it's an infectious disease that can spread, so control is an issue, but I do think we lose perspective on this type of issue and that leads to bad decisions for people and wildlife. For example 284 people died in the US last year due to WNV, not inconsequential. But by comparison 76 million Americans suffer from food poisoning each year and over 5,200 die. The odds of any one of us dying from heart attack, cancer or stroke are about 60% (greater than 1.4 million Americans per year). (Stats. from the CDC website). I appreciate your concern. My point is let's not lose our ability to enjoy the things that are invaluable--like our gardens, the outdoors--because of something that is far less likely to affect us than many many things that never make the news; and lets use due caution in our approach, because the solutions can be worse than the problem we are trying to solve, and just as dangerous in the long run.
You're right, there are few simple solutions.
--
Bill C. :o)`
New Brunswick, Canada

I stand corrected.
Bill C.

Hi Erik, Here's a neat idea and one that I use, since I can't use insect repellant. I invested in tiki torches. They are metal canisters with a wick that are set into bamboo holders. You fill the canisters with patio lantern oil, set them out around the area you plan to sit in, and light them. I lucked out and found some mounted in wrought iron. The smell and the smoke keeps those little buggers away. I think you might be able to find the lamps at Home Depot or such. Try one or two. J. Lane