Re: metapost or groundmaster fence post support?

Hi Carolyn,

Metapost to support a Gate? What you need to remember is, that n matter how deep the spike is into the ground, the post is onl supported/gripped by 4 to 6 inches of metal clamp. This will be th weak point especially as some posts may be under the stated size an thus the clamp would not compress the post properly. if the gate i heavy, there will be movement. In short, if it is a light gate, tr it. If a heavy gate, concrete a full post in place.

George

Carolyn Jean Fairman Wrote:

Has anyone used these for fence posts that also support a gate? They > are the 24" or 30" metal spike with a socket on top that accepts a 4x4 > (or other size) fence post, and screws tighten it down onto the wood. > > My fence will be just the 4'x8' framed redwood lattice as found at > Home Depot, attached to the fence posts with the u-shaped fence > brackets. All it has to do is keep people and animals from wandering > into the backyard through an 11' space between the side of my house > and a sound wall. I think the post supports would be great for the > fencing in general, since the panels are so light. Probably wouldn't > work for a 6' solid privacy fence but that's not what I'm putting up. > > But what about for the post on which I hang the gate? The gate would > also be light/simple and have a lattice panel for show over a gate kit > (because I doubt I could build a z gate from scratch) made with with > 2x4's. I found a lot of posts by people who used the fence post > supports, but none mentioned *gates* specicially. > > Carolyn > > > > > > > -- > Carolyn Fairman >
Gforce