Re: Leyland Cypress Trouble, Help!

Leyland's don't like having their feet wet....I'd say they're

> done...........Try American Arborvitae,Weeping Willow, and/or Pond o > Bald > Cypress...I don't know if Cryptomeria can stand the moisture fro > experience > but I heard it could...It is deer tolerant.... > > > I live in Long Island, NY. My wife and I planted 5 Leyland Cypress > last > fall, one in the front corner of the property, and the other 4 t > create a > screen in the side rear of the property. They were large nurser > bought > examples (8-10 ft each). > > I have a problem. After showing no signs of issues throughout ou > very > rough > winter, suddenly, in the last few weeks, two of the four trees alon > the > side of my property are beginning to get brown from the lower outside > upwards and inwards. Are these trees dying, or are they jus > recovering > from > the winter? > > Here's one of my worries. The two that look the worst are the one > with > the > least best drainage. While all four are planted in a row along > retaining > wall we built a few years back, these two are the ones that reside i > the > low spot of the property... and with all the ice and snow melt we'v > had, > these two have been sitting in standing water and ice for a fe > months. > > I think I read somewhere that these trees like good drainage... wel > this > spot has terrible drainage. > > Am I up the creek folks? is there anything I can do? > > Tom > >

I also live in Long Island and have extensive experience with Leylands They do not like wet feet (ie sitting in clay for instance). The should not be planted in fall/early winter due to the last 2 bruta winters we've had out here. Thousands of leylands wre lost all ove LI. Additionally it is much better to plant smaller material (5/6

6/8') for better chance at survival. NEVER plant anything over 12-14

-- it's just not worth the risk. I've really soured on this this tree in the past 3-4 years. It's beautiful evergreen, fast-growing and all that, makes for great privac screens etc... but they cannot tolerate a cold north wind and we've ha plenty of that lately. Here in zone 7, we've actually had zone winters for the past 2 years and another one is predicted for this yea (04-05). YOu can dig around the tree, auger holes beyond the root ball and fil with bankrun (gravel/sand) to facillitate drainage. Amend also wit compost. Do not use peat. Also, keep in mind that leylands are famous for seemingly beating thes winters but as soon as it warms up in April/May, they start to tur brown, and many die by June/July. This is typical. The good new about leyland though is that they can be shorn and will come back, an quickly. Vi

Reply to
vcardaro

ps they are NOT deer resistant

-- vcardaro

Reply to
vcardaro

We just had 5 mature Leyland Cypress removed. All died in spite of following advice from the Agriculture Dept, tree surgeons, nursery people, etc. They never could identify what made them turn brown and die, they guessed mites, "some bug" etc but we never could find anything. We tried many sprays, nothing helped. They were in soil with very good drainage, were fed, watered, etc. Jackie, zone 7.

Reply to
J. Davidson

June/July. This is typical. The good news

Cryptomeria is deer resistant...........................................

Reply to
KCnRichmond