Re: Leyland Cypress Trouble, Help!

KCnRichmond Wrote:

I also live in Long Island and have extensive experience with Leylands They do not like wet feet (ie sitting in clay for instance). The should not be planted in fall/early winter due to the last 2 bruta winters we've had out here. Thousands of leylands wre lost all ove LI. Additionally it is much better to plant smaller material (5/6 6/8') for better chance at survival. NEVER plant anything over 12-14 -- it's just not worth the risk. I've really soured on this this tree in the past 3-4 years. It's beautiful evergreen, fast-growing and all that, makes for great privac screens etc... but they cannot tolerate a cold north wind and we've ha plenty of that lately. Here in zone 7, we've actually had zone winters for the past 2 years and another one is predicted for this yea (04-05). YOu can dig around the tree, auger holes beyond the root ball and fil with bankrun (gravel/sand) to facillitate drainage. Amend also wit compost. Do not use peat. Also, keep in mind that leylands are famous for seemingly beating thes winters but as soon as it warms up in April/May, they start to tur brown, and many die by June/July. This is typical. The good new about leyland though is that they can be shorn and will come back, an quickly. Vi
--
vcardaro

vcardaro Wrote:

ps they are NOT deer resistant
-- vcardaro
We just had 5 mature Leyland Cypress removed. All died in spite of following advice from the Agriculture Dept, tree surgeons, nursery people, etc. They never could identify what made them turn brown and die, they guessed mites, "some bug" etc but we never could find anything. We tried many sprays, nothing helped. They were in soil with very good drainage, were fed, watered, etc. Jackie, zone 7.

June/July. This is typical. The good news

Cryptomeria is deer resistant...........................................