Re: Leaf mulchers

BH said:

To do small branches, you will need a chipper/shredder. The one you were looking at will not chip branches. Sears sold version of the electric leaf shredder (which I have), which does a good job on leaves, torn newspaper, and straw -- as long as they are dry. It doesn't do twigs.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

wore out 2 of them. We now have the gasoline powered, 5 Hp type. This year, so far, my DH has ground up 42 bags of mulch for me! Emilie NorCal
BH wrote:

I've only seen the leaf shredder you're talking about in catalogs and online. I've never actually seen one in a store, and I know nobody who owns one. I don't remember who's ad it was that I saw it in, but it mentioned that it uses strings similar to a string trimmer to shred the leaves. If this is the case, you aren't going to be able to put any branches, or even twigs, or even woody stems into the shredder. What's left, leaves, you can shred by running over them with your mulching mower.
There are some vacuum / shredder / chippers that look like lawn mowers, and can be used to vacuum up the leaves straight from the lawn, and shred them. They usually have a shoot that will allow you to put small (like 1/2" or smaller) branches in. Some even have tubes to allow you to vacuum in your beds, under shrubs and in corners. These seem to start around $300.
After that, it's chipper shredders with 5 hp motors and above. It's at this range that you start seeing machines that'll handle those 1-3" branches, but they start at about $550, and go up from there. Comments I've seen in this group seem to indicate that the lowest priced models are junk, and the higher priced ones are too expensive for a typical city or suburban home owner.
Like I said, I've never actually seen one of those "Deluxe Electric Leaf Shrewder", but my gut feeling is that you'll be disappointed with it.
--
Warren H.

I have a Flowtron brand leaf shredder. It works well on leaves. It has a large hopper, and controls for how find to shred and whether or not the leaves are wet. Uses strings. Small sticks usually just are sent through without breaking the strings. I think I paid about 80 dollars for it. Have also seen the same thing with another name on it, maybe Coleman or Craftsman. I bought mine at a store like Home Depot.
--
Compostman
Washington, DC

I own the one made by Sears. I am not at all disappointed with it. Don't need to shred twigs, but if they get into this shredder, it can "cut" the string. Love the shredded leaf mulch. And the earth worms love it even more! My soil is covered w/ worm castings. It would be a fisherman's delight!
Mary Ellen NW PA, Zone 5