Re: Lawn/turf question

Bahia wrote:

Seems to me that there would be far better, low maintenance ground covers available than grass. You do realize that the hard work will come *after* you lay the sod, right?
--
Warren H.

==========
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Thanks! We're new to lawns/gardens (our lot is basically an acre of woods) so this did not occur to us, and wasn't mentioned in the site-prep articles we read. Sounds like a great idea for serious consideration.
I would also second the suggestion that you consider something other than grass for the site. Other ground covers may be a better choice.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Please see my response to another poster. We are very open to the idea of groundcover. We have talked to 2 landscapers, both of whom suggested grass (even though we told them we would consider grass OR groundcover).
We are in Florida. The area to be covered is a bit shady and quite damp. We need something that will hold on to the soil NOW, not something we will have to cultivate carefully for 6 months in order to get it to spread. We are on a sloping site and have problems with erosion. We are working on the drainage (retention wall put in today!) but definitely need a ground cover that will be off to a running start!
Joseph Meehan wrote:

It is a lot of work to pull the weeds. Work when the soil is damp, after a rain. It would certainly help to have more than one person doing the task. Listen carefully to your local experienced people about the various types of grass that grow well in your climate. Using the best grass type for your climate will greatly reduce your maintenance chores and increase your chance of a nice lawn.