Re: itchy mosquito bites, OT

We've found what is called a "sting stick" at the local drug store. About the size of a highlighter pen, you dab the "point" of the pen on the itching bite. Other than ammonia, I don't remember what else is in the stick. Sure does make bites stop itching!

Reply to
Marcy Hege

Can you take oral antihistamines? Like Claritin (supposed to be less drowsy-making than other brands). Just a thought.

The low-tech way is supposed to be to bathe the area in your saliva

*immediately* and keep it up until itching dies down -- w/o scratching, of course. Some people have reported success.

I'm facing the same prob. since I'm going to mosquito country, and I'm very sensitive -- I'd almost say allergic -- to insect bites. We have fleas this year. It took me a while to wake up and treat the cat and vacuuum & spray rugs.

Reply to
Persephone

Reply to
news.verizon.net

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:49:28

-0700, "Jacqueline Davidson" did speak the following bit of wisdom:

Salt. Seriously... Wet your skin and apply table salt. Rub it into the bite as hard as you like and leave the salt to dry on your skin. You can brush if off after that, it will have done its job. This works for most insect bites or stings. So does meat tenderizer, but salt is much cheaper and easier to carry or find if you're on the road. (Keep a handful of salt packets in your glove box for travel emergencies.)

  • * * * * Karen C. Southern CT / USDA Zone 6 Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"

Reply to
onewaits

"Jacqueline Davidson" wrote in news:HwgTa.8131 $If5.7882@lakeread06:

Seems like all the advice (except for salt) involve covering the wound site with something that removes heat.

My 2 cents: aloe vera gel

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Are you near a beach? Swimming in salt water is my cure for bug bites.

-shannon

Reply to
Shannon

My nickel: household ammonia, a dab will do ya. But only in the absence of the best little anti-itch stick, AfterBite (of which the active ingredient is ammonium hydroxide, I believe). Really really works.

Best, Tyra nNJ usa z7

Reply to
Tyra Trevellyn

Thanks everyone!! I cannot go outside without getting at least one bite. I will try all the methods you have suggested until I find the one that works for me. My sincere thanks, Jackie

Reply to
Jacqueline Davidson

"Jacqueline Davidson" wrote in news:k7BTa.9808$If5.151@lakeread06:

Here's more stuff to try.

The Medicinal HerbFAQ

3.1 Herbs for mosquitoes and other bothersome bugs and 3.1.2 And now you're bitten...

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb