Re: How do you prune severely overgrown bushes?

I suggest you first identify the shrubs. Then check a pruning

> book. You don't have to buy the book if you have a decent public > library nearby. Otherwise, a good nursery might let you browse > throught a copy.

I'll try to find out what they are, the neighbors don't know. Last fall I cut several feet off the top and they have already grown taller than they were when I cut them. Whatever they are, they are voracious growers. I broke a twig off and stuck it in a pot, it grew a root within a week.

Reply to
McQualude

I don't get the analogy, but I'll take your word for it.

deciduous, but evergreen in this zone (7-8)

I don't remember.

mature leaves are 2.5" long, they are compound leaves, have a small stem and grow opposite on the main stem

The simple identification book I have identified them as white ash, but they are not ash trees.

I'm wondering if it is a variety of privet. The characteristics seem to match and they appear similiar at a glance.

I don't think I could kill these things without the use of poison. They grow practically year round, probably a few inches a month and probably

2 feet a month in spring and fall.

I might just let them go... really, how big could they get? If they are privets they would be nearly full grown.

Reply to
McQualude

Dig this out at the roots

Reply to