Re: How do you prune severely overgrown bushes?

I'll try to find out what they are, the neighbors don't know. Last fall I cut several feet off the top and they have already grown taller than they were when I cut them. Whatever they are, they are voracious growers. I broke a twig off and stuck it in a pot, it grew a root within a week.
--
McQualude

I don't get the analogy, but I'll take your word for it.

deciduous, but evergreen in this zone (7-8)

I don't remember.

mature leaves are 2.5" long, they are compound leaves, have a small stem and grow opposite on the main stem
The simple identification book I have identified them as white ash, but they are not ash trees.
I'm wondering if it is a variety of privet. The characteristics seem to match and they appear similiar at a glance.

I don't think I could kill these things without the use of poison. They grow practically year round, probably a few inches a month and probably 2 feet a month in spring and fall.
I might just let them go... really, how big could they get? If they are privets they would be nearly full grown.
--
McQualude

said:

Dig this out at the roots