Re: Help with tree pest

Looks to be lecanium scale. No sense treating until the crawlers (babies) emerge from the "shells," then use an ultrafine horticultural oil spray. I don't know where you live, but if you're familiar with growing degree days, they usually emerge somewhere between 700-800 GDD. Here in Wisconsin, that's usually sometime in July.

Good luck!

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

I just saw these bugs in a plum tree in my garden. They look like tiny, > black, German army helmets. The tree is not doing too well this year, > with a lot of dead branches, and the critters all over. What are they > and how do I get rid of them? Thanks. >

Suzy O