Re: Hair Brain Idea.

You might want to check, I think I heard that the latest advice is to NOT seal the area where a branch is cut off. Something about sealing in bacteria, etc..
That's "hare brained", you waskly wabbit!!
Ask the agent from your local agricultural extension service.

".... The limb was about 6 inches in diameter. I cut the stub at an extreme angle so the water would run off. This creating an oval area about 18" by 8" of exposed wood....."
First thing I would do is to cut the remains off level with the trunk (Vertical) to give the smallest area, you have created an area for the water to hold on the cut wood, also it will take years for the tree to grow over such a protrusion, so more chance of serious harm to the tree.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

when cutting a branch off of a tree, cut just a few inches (in this case, a few inches because it's a large branch) above the bulge where the branch joined up with the trunk. Yes in cutting the branch off properly, you allow it to heal right. Sealing it up WILL seal in bacteria and not allow it to heal right. And if the branch was dead, chances are it's already sealed itself, so be sure not to cut it off too closely to the trunk.......... madgardener>

You should have come here first ;) Frank

haha, "I cut it twice and it's still too short!"
You don't need a pruning paint. According to Arbouriculturalists the tree will heal fine.
Derryl - Master Gardener snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca