Re: Grasshoppers & garlic butter

John Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yesterday I heard (from an acquaintance of a friend, so cannot vouch > for the veracity, merely relate it as told to me) that someone near > here accidentally dropped a container of garlic butter, which popped > open and splattered the contents on the ground. He was amazed to see, > several minutes later, hundreds of grasshoppers eagerly eating it. > > He was even more amazed to see, about fifteen minutes later, hundreds > of dead grasshoppers. Apparently the Alberta Agricultural Research > organisation (IIRC) is following up on this. > > Is this an Old Wives' tale, or an Urban/Rural Legend? > > It won't cost anyone much to try this out.

Interesting, one web site lists garlic as a grasshopper repellant. However, my guess is that the grasshoppers asphixiated themselves, since they breathe through spiracles in their legs and the butter probably clogged them up pretty good.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Well, i dont know, but orange wedges will bring crickets..

Reply to
jammer

Sorry to say 'tis a tale, grasshoppers are known for their unrelenting appetite of honey dijon mustard, not garlic butter.

!;^)

Reply to
BLueCoBra