Re: Goodbye with mixed feelings

Page 2 of 2
On 12/20/2015 2:06 PM, Je�us wrote:

had a problem with mail here in Harris County, Texas. I can only hope that the gubmint will sell USPS to someone who knows what they're doing.
Have been to Australia a couple of times when I was flight crew in the Navy back in late fifties. Some really good beer and pretty women is about all I can remember except for the accent. <G> The Aussies I met thought I spoke funny too.

It's a very different place now, but we still talk funny ;) Have a great time over xmas/new years.
Dan Espen wrote:

the only ones I use killfiles on are those with interminable pages of muslim rubbish.

I've been using mine more and more in the past year, previously it was limited to serial spammers/kooks but it almost seems like the less ppl on Usenet over time, the greater the proportion of nutcases, trolls and google spammers.

The reports of Usenet's death are greatly exaggerated. (Sorry, Sam!). It's still light years ahead of BBS systems run on a Commodore 64, or Fidonet... it has been diluted by a zillion blogs and other resources, and I can't possibly follow all of them and still have time to garden and send binary data with a hand-activated switch!
Like all families, we have our share of crazies, more easily ignored than the ones we're related too.
So, thank you very much, I'm sticking around.
But that's just my opinion. I may be wrong.
rec.gardens:

You have to be either foolish or very discriminating to actually pay for a Usenet newsreader. There are many good free ones. The for-pay ones are different but not necessarily better. You have to set them all up, of course.
But if you're looking for an excuse to quit, by all means carry on with your misconception.
On 14/11/2015 11:45 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Oh yes it is different! But you are still the same old curmudgeon you have always been.

Usenet has certainly gone through many rounds of transformation. I am a little taken aback to do the math and find that I've been posting to Usenet for 30 years (plus a month or two, I guess). And I don't really think of myself as an old-timer (just an old-fart).
There have been many waves of "personality" (for lack of a perfect term) as to who is coming in and who is leaving.
In retrospect, I guess it was a generatoional thing in ways. It rose with a one group, transformed with another and then got more and more grafitti on the walls.
As for dying, I can't really draw a line. Both it and I will die in this century. I'm just not sure which one of us will go first.
I still think it is a medium superior to web forums, and for exactly the same reasons that Facebook and such don't like it -- no one owns Usenet.
--
Drew Lawson | If dreams were thunder,
| and lightning was desire,
On 17/11/2015 7:13 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:

Agreed. FB is a PITA.
Once upon a time on usenet Fran Farmer wrote:

I'm with you there. Signed up years ago at the insistance of overseas family who prefer to post there than write emails and now only visit once a month or less for maybe five minutes just to see who's hatched, been matched or dispatched.
--
Shaun.

On 11/22/2015 8:09 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:

isn't going to happen. I ride a gardening group that is mastered out of the U of Kentucky, been on it since around 1990. Otherwise UseNet for me is rec.food.preserving, very low volume nowadays, and rec.gardens.edible, which until lately, has also been low volume.
Used to run a gardening group on Yahoo Groups but people just kept leaving it so I left too. I think a large part of the internet population has no idea what gardening and talking about gardening is all about.
Supposed to be a light freeze tomorrow morning so we picked sweet chiles and eggplant, probably for the last time this winter. Winter garden is coming along nicely, looks like the broccoli is starting make heads and the cabbage is heading. Lots of salad mix and Swiss chard out there, that was our dinner tonight. We're trying to eat better and lighter at dinner time.
Once upon a time on usenet Brooklyn1 wrote:

He may well post less than you but quantiity is certainly no substitute for quality. I always read Davids post entirely but with 95% of yours I don't persevere past the first line.
--
Shaun.

~misfit~ wrote:

unfortunately David seems to not have been around on usenet when it was possible to read the entire newsfeed in a little while. then there came the great renaming and then AOL... (which is close enough to what eternal september was really like). back then there were things called mailing lists which were similar and are still even available.
now i see it gradually declining in some areas but i also see some other groups going strong and doing quite well. for what it is it is excellent and continues on i doubt it will ever be gone entirely, but reduced in scope again and hopefully less attractive to spammers.
ah well, i'll keep on, there's no lack of stuff to talk about and to write about and i doubt i'll be the last person writing to usenet in thirty more years.
songbird