Re: Goodbye with mixed feelings

Page 1 of 2
David Hare-Scott wrote:

For someone who claims to be subsribed for as long as you claim you are demonstating an exceptionately shallow intellect... usenet is no different now from how it's always been. All anyone can hope to get from any Newsgroup is as much as they contribute. Perhaps you are simply too full of yourself because over the years you've contributed very little, nothing meaningful other than your self absorbed claptrap. Adios and don't let the door hit your ignorant ass.
David Hare-Scott wrote: ...

most of what you write about seems to apply to other groups as i've not noticed politics, religion or spammers here in the gardening groups.
i'll miss the news from your pastures and gardens and hope eventually you'll figure out how to get a new service (news readers and services can be found still, but you don't sound like you want to even look) and reader set up and return. in the meantime i hope your summer is warm and you get plenty of rain in Aussieland...
for what it's worth i think a lot of the other forums i read (even the web based ones) are fading as more people get ipods and devices which make writing very awkwards. one place recently did an upgrade and the old-timers are mostly gone and haven't returned.
and as this trend continues the actual content becomes what? "likes?" and "r u thr?" ah, well i'll keep on writing what i can when i can and i hope there some sort of audience out there who'll read along.
cheers and all the best,
songbird

As other posters have already mentioned, there are plenty of free Usenet clients. I'm using GNUS, (part of Emacs).
There's even "Google Groups". Not really a Usenet client, but it will get you here.
Anyway, I've always looked forward to your posts and you never disappoint.
If you find something online that you like better, please come back and tell us about it.
Sorry, that kill files are all that we have. I'm sure the guys at Bell Labs that dreamed this up never anticipated the spammers and trolls, or the idiots.
--
Dan Espen

Just an aside, but Bell Labs had very little to do with the development of USENET. It was originated at Chapel Hill and Duke and was at one time a competitor to the Internet.

My mistake. The first time I saw Usenet I was working at Bell Labs. All these years I've been making an unwarranted assumption.
Thanks.
Now I'm wondering what command I typed to read news and where it came from. Oh well, some of my memories have been in the compost heap too long.
--
Dan Espen

Is that English... do you mean no kill files 'are' available? Usenet does not supply killfiles, killfiles are available on newsreaders, typically the free news readers do not have killfile ability. However there's really no need to use a killfile at rec.gardens, spam is very rare, and posts are rather sparse, often days pass with no posts... and it's pretty easy to not read posts from those posters you'd rather not read, just delete those posts unread.

The above reads fine to me.

I can think of at least 3 free news readers with kill files. Just so happens to be all 3 I've used.

The signal to noise ratio hasn't been bad lately. But that could be my kill files in action...
--
Dan Espen

Investorvillage offers the equivalent of kill files.
--
Dan Espen

"Bob F" wrote:

I already said that newsreaders offer killfiles, the ones you pay for... the freebies generally do not. I read Usenet with Forte Agent: http://forteinc.com/agent/ A one time copy costs $29, then $2.95 a month for support: http://www.forteinc.com/apn/contact.php It's well worth the 10¢ a day for a newreader that's hassle free. It's trouble free and has excellent killfile capability, actually has many features I don't use, there's not enough time in a day to use even half their features... you'd need to pick, choose, and refuse. There are many others if you search <newsreaders>: http://www.newsreaders.info/recommended-newsreaders.htm

IMDB.com has an ignore list, which is pretty much the same except you see a spot in the thread that says "this post ignored" or words to that effect.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 08:28:59 -0500, "J. Clarke"

IMDB is now another site that wants either your credit card or phone details to sign up, as I discovered the other day. No thanks...
says...

If you've ever bought anything off of Amazon then they already have that information.
On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 05:13:57 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Does IMDB have account details from Amazon? That sounds rather unethical...

Yes, Amazon owns IMDB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Movie_Database I would not expect them to share personal account details between the two though.
says...

You can sign in using an amazon account, a gmail account, a facebook account, or an account specific to IMDB. I would be very surprised if there was any internal isolation between the different kinds of accounts.
On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 23:45:16 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Yes, you're most likley right about that. Presumably they have some sort of disclosure somewhere (not that I am all *that* concerned).
In future I'll use my Amazon login details - not that I really need to login very often as I rarely post there. Thanks very much for the great info :)
On 12/13/2015 12:22 AM, Je�us wrote:

I only use IMDB for research and generally don't have to sign in. I like it better for that than I do Wicki. I've had an Amazon Prime account for many years, seldom ever have a problem other than the USPS losing shipped items. But, then, they lose my prescription drugs on a regular basis.

Same here, a bit of research and that's about it.

I'm in Australia and have never bought pharmaceuticals online. I seldom buy much from Amazon these days, but used to buy a lot of music and DVDs from there 15 years ago. Can't recall losing any shipments from Amazon (or anywhere else for that matter, come to think of it). Better go and touch some wood, now that I've said that...
On 12/15/2015 10:55 PM, Je�us wrote:

My Medicare provider is ten miles away, generally the meds they send me make it here. Insulin is delivered by courier and I have to sign for it. Kelsey-Seybold Medicare Advantage Plan is very good at what they do. The only five star Medicare Plan in the US of A.
The problem with the U.S. Postal Service is that it is heavily unionized and the post masters are afraid of the union. I have lived in other states where the post masters do a good job but the ones here in Harris County, Texas are a bunch of fraidy cats. I generally have to call the post mistress about once every three or four months looking for my mail that I knew was coming. We have learned to ship Christmas presents to relatives in other states by United Parcel Service, UPS does a good job of getting things where they're supposed to be. If we ship them USPS they seem to disappear easily. I suspect there are a lot of postal carriers that have sticky fingers.

Sheesh. In Australia there is only one real carrier of mail, that being Australia Post, which is government owned but a large portion of the business is run by contractors. Aus Post is in it's death throes and will be privatised soon. I can only imagine the problems that will bring... Aus Post is far from perfect but I can honestly say I cannot recall a missing letter or parcel from them in more than 30 years.