Re: goldfinch

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comgarden (NAearthMOM) wrote:

We were visited by a goldfinch earlier this year but haven't seen one since. They're our state bird but, alas, are getting awfully close to extinct west of the Cascades, so to have such a visitor is a rare treat, though as a child I remember spotting them all the time.
-paghat the ratgirl
how nice for you - in my part of Canada (near Toronto) we have them in large numbers all summer long. I recommend you buy niger seeds for them and you will get many more. J.
paghat wrote:

I have a patch of common multi-flowered sunflowers. They love those. I see them out there swinging around on their tall stalks when they come home.

My husband received a mesh bag full of niger seed for Christmas. Before this, we always put the niger seed in one of those tube feeders. The goldfinches had always liked the tube feeder, and it took them about a month to decide the mesh bag might be worth trying. Now they prefer the mesh bag over the tube feeder. We've had more goldfinches in the yard this year than we've ever had (we live in Wisconsin).
LeAnn
Share the view from Rural Route 2. . . Christmas In Dairyland To read sample chapters and other stories: http://ruralroute2.com
great tip about the mesh bag; never heard of that but will pay attention in the stores from now on.
MacTech wrote:

Kewl. We saw our last one about mid June. They usually do not return until fall (September-October) signaling thew end of our hot eather. -Olin (Near Phoenix AZ)
they must come up to Canada... lol
omi wrote:

They live here in winter. We don't get to see them in full plume. You can see their yellow, but not a brilliantly as you when they are mating.
On 05 Aug 2003 17:23:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comgarden (NAearthMOM) wrote:

Wow, just one? I'm sorry :-( I have them all year round and have counted as many as 15 at one time on my three finch feeders.
I'm glad you got to see one though. If you put out thistle seed for them that one may tell his friends about the place to chow :-)
LeeAnne

Recently when I lived in a more urban area, I would sometimes wake to a persistent pecking at my BR window. The window appears very dark from the outside; I don't know if it was trying to get around the glass, looking for food, trying to nest or what. But I didn't really want whatever it was to make this a habit, so I went to the window to surprise the creature. It was a little goldfinch, who couldn't see me through the window, at all. I was able to study him nearly eye-to-eye, until my legs were numb from crouching. I felt so charmed, I didn't have the heart to scare him away.

I have only seen them here on occasion as well, but they are out there.
Last year I had a little stray sunflower from dropped birdseed growing in a windowpot on the patio. After it had gone to seed, a little male goldfinch came faithfully, every day, to nibble on it. So goldfinches must be around, to notice this little pot tucked away on my little patio. : )
bianca Long Island
I am here on LI also! Love Caryn "Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"