Re: Global warming? "Evidence" from my garden?

Page 3 of 3
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Transpondia? When I Google that word I find something about bringing a visitor or fiance to the UK.
This is getting really weird.

USDA Zone 8
|> Jaques d'Alltrades wrote: |> > |> > 'Paraffin' is a group of hydrocabons which includes solids through |> > to gases. The paraffin referred to is somewhere in the middle of |> > the group and is called kerosene in Transpondia.
Yup.
|> Transpondia? When I Google that word I find something about bringing a |> visitor or fiance to the UK.
It has been used to refer to our ex-colonies (especially the rebellious ones) in north America for some time - on UK newsgroups.
|> This is getting really weird.
Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.
Regards, Nick Maclaren.
Nick Maclaren wrote:
[...]

Over on alt.usage.english, it's spawned a whole range of derivatives, including (hyphens are included or not according to house style): Right-pond Left-pond Else-pond Other-pond Trans-pond all of which lead to the expected forms with -ial, -ian, and -iality. There are also _pondial_ and _pondiality_. I believe I was myself responsible for the divergent adjectival form referring to Oceania, _Antipondean_.
Since we often refer to South Africa, I am about to introduce _up-_ and _down-pond_ -- also, perhaps, confections of my own.
--
Mike.

Something to ponder upon, I suppose, and for you to respond?.
--
Rusty
from snipped-for-privacy@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) contains these words:

You can be a cruel abstrad when you want, 'Mr. Maclaren'...
--
Rusty

British understatement refers to the Atlantic Ocean (occasionally) as The Pond, and hence to North America (more often) as Transpondia or Leftpondia.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thermosyphon, like an Electrolux. They do gas ones, electric ones and someone makes a paraffin one, probably Electrolux. There are also gas/electric ones on the market, mainly for caravanners.
--
Rusty