Re: Global warming? "Evidence" from my garden?

Page 2 of 3
It seems clear that the reason for this year's heat wave is the lack of particulate matter in the atmosphere blocking out the solar radiation.
What needs to be done is to encourage pollution worldwide to block out the bad radiation so we can cool down the planet just a little!!!!
Duby's hare-brained solution to the problem almost seems to make sense. We need to burn a lot more coal!!!
contains these words:

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:48:59 GMT, "Cereus-validus......."

Or how about another volcano eruption?
Thunder
How about burning towns & villages in the name of democracy?
How about more forest fires to open up land to raise more cattle?
Lowering air pollution standards would definitely do the job!!!

from snipped-for-privacy@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) contains these words:

I rather think he learnt it from the same source as his thinking on foreign policy, and his knowledge of psychology.
--
Rusty

There is one thing for sure - it's going to get a whole lot hotter around here in 6 billion years or so.

Global warming is caused by the dwindling number of pirates.
See http://www.venganza.org /
Bob
Bob Smith wrote: [...]

The calm Voice of Sanity at last! It should be noted, however, that a recent spike in pirate numbers local to Indonesian waters has often been adduced in an attempt to refute the theory. It's very important to get across to the lay public, which might easily be confused by such an apparent counter-example, that in fact these data merely _confirm_ the theory.
Nick can explain the stats better than I, and I wish dear old Franz were still with us to describe the physics, but I think it's essentially correct to say it's a matter of what the layman would call "averaging". A localised concentration does nothing to detract from the principle applied globally; and, very interestingly, according to catastrophe theory, may even appear to produce a transitory effect _contrary_ to what a global calculation would predict.
--
Mike.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.
Nick Maclaren wrote:

A perfect example in more than one sense: I remember some people back in Sa'udi had one which had to be turned upside-down every day to make it work.
--
Mike.

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin refrigerator works. Anyone?
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Travis wrote:

Same as a gas one.
--
Mike.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:57:32 +0100, "Mike Lyle"

and for those who don't know ...
http://www.nh3tech.org/absorption.html
--
Martin

Ye gods! That explains why I was about to give the answer to how one works: rather badly.
I had never looked up the physics before, but that isn't the sort of technology that is ideal for the conditions we used them in. Not field repairable? When transport from the nearest factory takes several weeks? Not good news.
Regards, Nick Maclaren.
Mike Lyle wrote:

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get it.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Not at any civilised temperature, it isn't. It is a liquid. You are thinking of paraffin wax. Also don't confuse (liquid) paraffin with liquid paraffin :-)
Regards, Nick Maclaren.
Nick Maclaren wrote:

So you mean what we call kerosene?

USDA Zone 8
Nick Maclaren wrote:

No, it's a divided-by-a-common-language thing. Brit laymen use the word "paraffin" for _kerosene_. Not as bad (from our pov) as the French, who call it "ptrole"!
--
Mike.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Ah, but they call petrol 'essence', which might be disastrous in a big cake in a hot oven innit.
--
Rusty

'Paraffin' is a group of hydrocabons which includes solids through to gases. The paraffin referred to is somewhere in the middle of the group and is called kerosene in Transpondia.
--
Rusty