Re: gazing balls

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:02:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@meadows.pair.com wrote:

weird, never have any germinate from a previous season's seed .. must just hate me. What kind of lettuce you use?
Janice
Add pictures here
βœ–
To save seeds over time, in the end you have to plant them and collect the next seasons seeds. It's the only way with seeds that aren't viable for long. I do a search on 'seedsavers' 'seed banks' and see what comes up. There are groups around the world who do just that to keep species alive. And lo and behold, a nice .edu site :-)
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/stse/handbook.htm http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/stse/store.htm
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~merlyn/seedsaving.html
--
Cheers,
βœ–
old_codger wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Depends on the seed. Some die immediately (... coffee), some can sprout after hundreds of years (... mullein).

What kinds of vegetables and root crops do you like?

You want heirloom seeds. That is, NON-hybrid.
Hybrids, well, they work if you have nothing else, and if you have a steady supply to buy more when what you have is gone, but be aware that hybrid offspring will look nothing much like the parent(s).

Your local garden center / feed store. They'll have types that thrive in YOUR climate.
What you really want is to get a garden going. Then you can see in practice what you're now asking in theory. And the best way to keep seeds, long-term, is on a succession of live plants.
Nothing to do with preserving, so I've removed that bit.
Henriette
--
Henriette Kress, AHG                      Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Henriette Kress wrote:

I do a garden every year but it's just veggies, peppers and the like. No grains.
Add pictures here
βœ–
old_codger wrote:

The seeds in bird feed generally sprout, and are edible. (Not real palatable.) Not any good for bread unless you add the right grains, but they'll do for supplying calories and baiting in quail and dove.
Add pictures here
βœ–

There is a very good book about grains. 'Small Scale Grain Raising' by Gene Logsdon that could give you a good insight into grain crops. And your Agricultural Extension office as well. Almost all of their literature is free. And their advice as well.
JonquilJan
Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:30:32 +0300, Henriette Kress

I don't know where the original poster is located, but this sure hasn't been true in my experience in several states in the northeastern USA. Local garden centers have a very, very poor selection of seeds and not particularly suited to the area either.
To the O.P.: since you have (or someone else has, maybe) included 'misc.survivalism', I will assume you want to keep these seeds a long time for some survivalist purpose or other.
If I wanted to do this, I'd buy non-hybrid garden seeds dry-packed in cans for very long storage. For the grains, you can just buy grains that are sold for people to eat: also in cans or 5-gallon buckets, and nitrogen-packed, suitable for long storage.
One place that carries such seeds and grains, packed in cans is:
http://www.waltonfeed.com
This would be a good place for your initial purchase.

Right. This is absolutely correct.
Pat
Add pictures here
βœ–

Humm I didn't see the various News group names until I agreed to allow posting to all of them, which I don't usually do.
misc.survivalism,rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible
    Janice

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:38:45 -0600, Janice

This was originally posted to misc.survivalism. I added the other groups, The first time I tried to crosspost, the darn computer farted before I was finished.
n.

Add pictures here
βœ–

So did I, there were other unusual gardens in it too, if I recall.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Yes. If I recall it was the show on HGTV...but a special...oh what's the guys name...John James? I know he pops his head in here from time to time PAUL James. Phew. I still have a marble.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I got a steel gazing ball online. it even floats. wont break. Ingrid

βœ–

I have a small one and paid probably $20 for the ball itself, and another $25 for the holder, I've had it 5 years. I usually bring everything in for the winter but it has been left out once or twice in zone 5 Connecticut, looks fine... The holder needs to be painted though :o)
Colleen
Add pictures here
βœ–
Oh don't say that....he paid alot of money for them,,,,

Add pictures here
βœ–
Well, if you have mercury glass and it is failing, maybe you can bring it to the place he bought it. That shouldn't happen so fast. I know someone who's had a mercury glass orb for about 30 years and it is still as shiney as the day they got it.

βœ–