Re: gazing balls

Page 1 of 2
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:20:19 GMT, "Barbara Yanus"

I couldn't tell any difference by price. My theory is the daytime high brings in moisture in the warm air that condenses on the inside wall during the overnight low temperature. The moisture seems to cause the ball to peel on the inside. You could keep it in air conditioning and it should last a long time. :)
Regards,
Hal
I've got a ball that has the color moded into it, sure it never changes, but it'll last forever, even the desert sun has no effect on it, and I got it for free too. I just make sure the finger holes are down and hindden.
It's a mabled green colored bollowing ball.
-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."
Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars
SIAR www.starlords.org Bishop's Car Fund http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com / Freelance Writers Shop http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

That's so funny! I did that in my garden 15 years ago and friends thought it was silly. Now it's working everywhere. I too have a bowling ball. I copper leafed the surface and it now looks like a blue/green patina copper orb.
They also sell copper balls in...a catalog? I can't recall which. Maybe Tuscano, or Gardener Supply. One of the catalogs have them and they're not too expensive.

I got the idea after seeing a short clip on t.v. that showed a guy who has used them to mark his pathways around his home, driveway,etc and he gets them at second hand stores who want to get rid of them for a few pennys. This one was left behind in a trailer.
-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."
Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars
SIAR www.starlords.org Bishop's Car Fund http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com / Freelance Writers Shop http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

I saw the same show!

BTW, I planted some of those seeds in potting soil in pots last friday and so far the one vine has come up. Hay I've got some vine seeds from Hawaii, one is part of the MG group and has small clusters of lavender flowers and the other is an unknown that has small white flowers BUT has fine hair on it's leaves and vine that seems to keep most bugs off of it. Want a few to try?
-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."
Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars
SIAR www.starlords.org Bishop's Car Fund http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com / Freelance Writers Shop http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

I crossposted your question over to a couple of groups where the experts on this subject hang out.
n.
Lets try this again :-) Note the groups that were added. n.

North wrote:

Ok, thanks north. I think Alan Connor posted something on this a while ago but I can't seem to find it. We'll see what the other groups can add.
Thanks.

You might give the yahoogroup "Organic Homesteading Gardening" a try.
As for me, I hit the garden supply store when they have their big end of year sale. I buy the regular seed packs (envolopes) and I store them in a jar with a few O2 absorbers the lid sealed tight of course and kept in the dark. After 5 years the seeds still sprout and grow, YMMV. I think the trick for long term seed storage is the same as long term grain storage, where O2 and water are the enemy (alone with light).
I have no clue if the seeds I buy and store are non-hybrid or not and if their seeds will sprout. I just buy enough seed to last 20 or so years, of course I rotate these every chance I get (while we still have places to buy seeds, ect...)
n.
North wrote:

What do you buy. Just a mix of veggies and grains?
As long as you keep the seeds dry they will last a long time. I keep mine in a plastic one gallon container in the fridge and have viable seeds that are up to ten years old. You can even freeze them if you seal them in a container, used to keep heirloom field pea seeds that way. I keep all the seeds in the containers in paper envelopes, the smaller batches in el cheapo coin envelopes, the rest in el cheapo small size mailing envelopes. YMMV
George
old_codger wrote:

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:18:14 -0500, George Shirley

yup.... 'cept lettuce, parsnips, think orach seed doesn't keep either. Usually they only last the season they're purchased for, no longer. Maybe if there are way better storage facilities than most households, you might get another year out of them, so you'd have to grow them out each year and save new seed.
Janice

Janice wrote:

have some that are two years old in the box. Planted some for spring and got about 80% germination, which with lettuce seed is more than adequate.
George
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:27:28 -0500, George Shirley

Kewl, where do you get it so cheap?
I planted some I got from last year, won't grow. Never has grown for me over a year old. No matter how I have stored 'em. *sigh*
Janice
I save my own dill seeds and have successfully got them to germinate with 3yr. old seeds Sue in Mi. (zone 5) Will Spring ever get here??????
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:38:46 -0600, Janice

I don't know about parsnip and orach seeds' longevity, but I routinely use lettuce seed that is several years old - it has very good germination.
Pat
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@meadows.pair.com at snipped-for-privacy@meadows.pair.com wrote on 13/4/04 6:02 am:

Ellen

It's a hot weather spinach substitute, comes in green and red. Another hot weather spinach substitute.. malabar spinach .. dunno what the longevity of that seed is ;-) links below. Janice
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV103 http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcatalog/herbs/orachburgandy.htm http://www.pizazz.com/plants/quiche.htm