Re: english ivy & deer

I just think that they don't eat it.
-kim

I don't have to throw my English ivy over the fence. The deer usually prune my ivy down to the ground during the winter months. I wish it was bad for them, but I try to make it untasty with various applications.
Mogie wrote:

No, but unless they are very hungry, they won't. So, unless you want it there for a while, don't throw it over the fence.
Chris Owens
You should probably check with your neighbor before you toss it over the fence. He just might toss it back.
Cow pasture behind us about 200 acres of nothing.

(sings)
Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy; A kid'll eat ivy too Wouldn't you?
Deer relish eating ivy once they get a taste for it; it's nutritious. IIRC, goatkeepers feed ivy to ailing goats.
In our last garden I had a ruined railway goods van which was nicely covered in ivy, until the local deer tasted it and ate off every single ivy leaf below 5ft :-(. It was winter but no snow and plenty of good grass and other browsing herbage.
Janet.