Re: Elderly houseplants?

On 20 Aug 2003 13:08:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@newhouse.com (Dru Sefton) wrote:

My african violet is from the early 80's. Also another plant that i don't know the name of.
Dru Sefton said:

I have a Sansevieria trifasciata 'Hahnii' which I grew from a leaf cutting at college -- 1975ish, I think. (We were learning about plant propagation at the time). It's only been divided once since then,when it almost died of root-rot once after being over watered. I've also got a Hoya carnosa, same vintage, from an unauthorized cutting I took...
I have a truly ugly Ficus benghalensis (banyan) that I grew from a Thompson & Morgan packet of 'mixed ficus seed' in the late 70s. The seeds were incredibly small, and only one ever sprouted. After 25 or so years, it's straggly and propped up with a plastic-coated metal stake, but despite its ugliness, it still remains. I grew it from seed! (You would never think from its size that if it were a person, it could legally buy alcohol.) I suppose, in an outdoor setting in a suitable climate, it would be an impressive specimen by now rather than a plant I have to make excuses for keeping.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

My mother has a nephthytis that belonged to _her_ mother... who died in 1966.
--Nan

I've got a ~30 year old gardenia. In late spring to early fall we put on our deck. It gives tremendous crops of flowers. Frank
My husband came back to the states on leave during the Viet nam war in 1965, and driving through Arizona, obtained a small cactus plant that he took to his aunt in Ohio. She still has the original plant, which is over 7 feet tall, and just last month she sent my husband 4 'babies' from it.
>some folks were nice enough to give me a "bulb" shower.
Oh, I *like* that idea. :)
Tracey

I was lucky to have a couple of showers that were really wonderful. Our other favorite was a wine shower! One reason I loved both was that the gifts were not expensive, required very little thought, but were in fact very thoughtful!
Hi Dru. I have a philodendron that was my grandmother's....she passed on 11 years ago.........I also have quite a few of her ceramic pots that house newer houseplants. My Christmas cactus is 9 years old; I bought it during our first holiday season in our house. I love looking at photos over the years that my plants have unwittingly "posed" for & seeing their growth. Love Caryn "Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
I have several
A shefflera that was given to someone as a birthday gift at the office and was left behind and I adopted it and repotted it. "Gomer" has been with me since 1979.
I have an ivy that I got from my 90 year old aunt. She'd had it for 20 years and her mother had had it for at least 40 years before that.
I also have an African Violet that was my late husband's mothers. Plant is about 50 years old (may have been re-rooted from leaf cuttings along the way).
I also have the iris rhizomes that grew next to my house when I was al little girl, about 40 years ago.