Re: does anybody know what this insect is

I have a picture attached. It is the wierdest bug I have ever seen > > Gord

First, not a good idea to post images here - best to do so on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

The insect is question is a fairly common creature, a dragon or damsel fly. Not sure what specific species, but they are found all over in areas with some sort of water feature - lakes, ponds, swamps, slow moving streams, even waterbowls, birbaths and other garden water attractions.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

"Gord Stephan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@edaptivity.com:

It's a dragonfly, couldn't tell you what species though. Not weird at all in any place with moisture. The eat mosquitoes and other small flying insects, usually considered beneficial. Where do you live that you've never seen one before? (Incidentally, location is extremely helpful information in identifying wild creatueres and plants.)

Reply to
Alfred Falk

live in Hamilton ontario near toronto...there is not alot of water near my property. Lake ontario is several KM away

Reply to
Gord Stephan

"Gord Stephan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@edaptivity.com:

If there's enough water for mosquitoes, there's likely enough for dragonflies. Life cycle is similar and dragonfly larvae eat mosquito larvae - in standing or slow-moving water, generally. Puddles, ponds, creeks, etc.

Reply to
Alfred Falk

"Gord Stephan" expounded:

It looks like one of the Emerald dragonflies. Odonata are one of my favorite things to watch, there was one in my brother's backyard the other day that was huge, at least a 6" wingspan.

Reply to
Ann

It's a dragon fly. Damsel flies wings are always held in the back position when resting, and dragon flies have their two sets of wings outward, as you see yours has. Which dragon fly it is, I haven't the clue.

Victoria

escapee