Re: does anybody know what this insect is

alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.
The insect is question is a fairly common creature, a dragon or damsel fly. Not sure what specific species, but they are found all over in areas with some sort of water feature - lakes, ponds, swamps, slow moving streams, even waterbowls, birbaths and other garden water attractions.
pam - gardengal

It's a dragonfly, couldn't tell you what species though. Not weird at all in any place with moisture. The eat mosquitoes and other small flying insects, usually considered beneficial. Where do you live that you've never seen one before? (Incidentally, location is extremely helpful information in identifying wild creatueres and plants.)
A L B E R T A Alfred Falk snipped-for-privacy@arc.ab.ca
live in Hamilton ontario near toronto...there is not alot of water near my property. Lake ontario is several KM away

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk snipped-for-privacy@arc.ab.ca

It looks like one of the Emerald dragonflies. Odonata are one of my favorite things to watch, there was one in my brother's backyard the other day that was huge, at least a 6" wingspan.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

It's a dragon fly. Damsel flies wings are always held in the back position when resting, and dragon flies have their two sets of wings outward, as you see yours has. Which dragon fly it is, I haven't the clue.
Victoria