Re-designing a garden kneeler

Hi all, I'm re-designing a garden kneeler for my final year of Product Design at University. Please can you let me know of any improvements/ problems you see with current kneelers, or things they don't do that you'd like them too. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated, thanks. ps- feel free to think outside the box!

Reply to
PhilV

That's easy, a gardening kneeler needs an insulated compartment that holds ice to cool a sandwich and a sixpack.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

It needs a drink holder. If ride-on mowers have drink holders so should all garden equipment. Preferably one that keeps your beer cool.

And a help button. You press it and somebody comes to help you. Useful if your back goes and you can't get up or if your beer runs out.

If going this far some kind of "Trucker's Friend" could be installed so that you don't need to get up and walk to the lemon tree after the fourth beer. Maybe it could be configured so that it operates after the more-beer button has been pressed n number of times, not just four. There might need to be two versions. But wait! Perhaps instead you could design an evertable adaptor - one size fits all so to speak.

Imagine the scene at the community gardens, rows of little plots being tended by elderlies all on *your* kneelers. Moments of tension passing across their wrinkly anxious faces followed by bliss and relief as each Kneeler's Friend reaches its functional threshold. Aaaahhhhhhhh!

I'm getting to like this designing outside the box.

David Hare-Scott

Think 1. Price 2. beer holder

... not necessarily in that order .. :-)

Good luck.

hubops

I have a kneeler that, turned upside-down, is also a bench. I love it, but I can see a need for improvements.

As a kneeler, there is a foam pad for my knees. It is held in place by small strips of Velcro, with one side stuck to the unit and one side stuck to the pad. This pad sometimes comes loose when the kneeler is being used as a bench. The pad needs to have better fastening to the unit.

I am near the weight limit for sitting on the bench. It should be stronger, enough to hold someone as heavy as 300 poinds (about 20% more than I weigh).

The instructions warned about standing on the bench. I stand on it anyway. I don't know if I am at risk of exceeding the bench's design limit. It should be designed for someone to stand on it.

My kneeler is shown at .

Reply to
David E. Ross

I have this one, works well.