Re: Converting from grass to something else

Yep, that'll work just fine. Use 5-6 layers of newsprint, and overlap it well. Keep a hose handy to water it down and prevent it from blowing away as you work, and do it in sections, adding mulch as you go. The grass will decompose fairly quickly in the summer heat; it you mulch it now, it should be ready for fall planting.
Cheers, Sue snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Yup -- I just did this with a 30'x10' section of my front yard a week or two ago. Worked like a charm. For the main part, I put down about one full section of newspaper (6-8 individual pages) then covered that with around 4 inches of mulch (ended up being one bag of mulch for about every 8 square feet). Let it sit for approximately a month to really give it time to die, carefully turn the mulch every week or so, and you should be good to go.
As someone else mentioned, you'll want to do this in sections and preferably on a day when there is not much wind. :) I had newspaper flying everywhere on me -- halfway into the project, a summer rainstorm hit us outta nowhere and THAT was fun.
James
Depends on where you live and what grass you're talking about. If you're in the south, I doubt the paper method will take care of bermuda, bahia, johnson or even zoysia grasses as these can form long and/or powerful stolons and growth tips. I've even seen them come up through asphalt. I've seen bahia survive 2 shots of roundup and being turned 8" under. It might take care of centipede, fescue and some of the other milder perennial grasses like bluegrass. Quackgrass and nutsedge are 2 more I doubt the paper will hit hard enough to kill. I'd use roundup and cover with black plastic for a week or two if I wanted a scortched-earth effect. Plant a couple of days after removing the plastic. Gary

Thanks for all of the replies. I have all of this week's Wall St Journals and 5 yards of mulch in my future today.
:)
Gary