Re: Clay Soil Delivered

Donna,
There's really nothing you can add except organic material.
Dave

now
have
use it

lawn
delivered
Boy oh boy are you going to have fun now! What did you do? Just phone someone and ask for the soil without checking to see what you were going to get? OK. Quick check on the soil. Go out and grab a handfull. Dampen it and squeeze it. If you can form a long skinny "rope" out of it and it doesn't fall apart, chances are you have clay. You will have to add sand and manure or anything organic( compost, peat moss mixes, whatever) to ammend the soil. And it's going to take money and work to do it...well certainly the work if you can find the manure, compost or sand for free. Next time go out and look at the stuff before you buy!
--
Jayel
"Dunzley" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
After just buying a bunch of soil myself, it also matters whether you buy pulverized or non-pulverized depending on what you are doing with it. If you are just top dressing a yard or garden get pulverized. If you are using it for filling or grading, get non-pulverized or the clumping kind. since it is more dense.
I would get the soil you bought analyzed before you jump to conclusions and start adding stuff. The squeezing test someone mentioned is a good one. On my lot, the native soil is like modeling clay. With a kiln, I could start my own pottery shop. Don't add too much sand, add Gypsum. Do a search for clay soil on this group and you will get some good advice. For planting holes you can also look into the new clay soil improver from schultz's. It's pricy but claims to speed up the breakdown process. I bought a bag to try myself but won't know until next year whether it worked.
mm

existing
I'd tell them to come and get it if you really thought you were buying top soil and was delivered clay.
How did you incorporate it into your existing soil Dave?
Dave

top
really

I used my trusty Armstrong Soil Inverter...
otherwise known as a shovel ;<).
Actually I didn't turn it in as a project in itself, I just incorporated it as an amendment over several years when I was working the soil for other purposes.