Re: Chinese Elm

I've got the same problem and will definately try your suggestion. Those damned trees should be banned! Anyone growing one because they like them should be sued by their neighbours.

Reply to
J. Lane

Then you haven't experienced the black walnut. These grow from roots and 'seeds' and maybe from whim. They grow inside the garage (with one dim window) and inside the greenhouse (all window). The roots extend

*miles*, and they are not the least bit discouraged by being cut to a 1" stub.
Reply to
Frogleg

Chinese Elm is bad enough. My neighbors have a dozen or so of them growing along our common fenceline - cinderblock. They were the major cause of us filling in out 18x36 pool with dirt and making a rose & flower garden. They ruined the liner, they broke one of the return lines (under the concrete sidewalk), they cracked the sidewalk in several places. I dig as many of their seeds out of the ground as possible before I plant but they still come up, and the roots continue to grow into new trees. Saturday I was sawing off the return lines pipes so I could access my winter wood pile and as I dig down to cut off the PVC there was a 2" root, maybe 50' away from the nearest tree. Yesterday while I'm at the sports bar watching Seattle trounce New Orleans, wife says a massive wind came along. Played havoc in much of the city, and naturally it blew from their house to mine so now I have millions of these freaking little seeds in my yard - again! Don't even say owners, rental house - grrrrr.......

Reply to
Grandpa