Re: cat problem ....PLEASE HELP !!??

Page 2 of 2
speaking of rodents getting the better of cats I have this refugee hampster that was given to my kids by another kid and unfortunatly I was not home to intercept this action but my husband let the kids keep it. the cat had a habit of sticking his paw in between the bars and taunting the hampster. I did try to stop the cat in my own defense but once the cat was sitting and watching the ampster and they were having a stare down and the cat swished his tail into the bars Well needless to say the hamster struck and attached him self the cat and the cat jumped down and actually pulled the hamster right through the bars and ran all around the living room yowling and pitching a fit. we finally caught him and when we did the hamster was still attached to the end of the cats tail. amazingly not much damage was done but the cat never went near the hamster again. and the hamster lived another year and a half in smug satisfaction Talk about taking the tiger by the tail. He He michelle On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:06:38 -0600, Janice

Add pictures here
βœ–
A few years ago our city decided to do something about the cat problem.... live traps etc for anyone complaining - then the mice moved in. Cat poops ok as long as it contains mice tails.
take care Liz

Add pictures here
βœ–

Call animal control. You are making this YOUR problem, your neighbors chose to keep these cats, make it the neighbor's problem.
--
McQualude

Add pictures here
βœ–
McQualude wrote:

Absolutely the best solution  -  IF they'll come for cats. The suggestion to rent or purchase a live trap would be good either way. Animal wardens may take a cat, but i doubt they would be willing to chase one. Trap 'em or kill 'em.    Either way, your problem is quickly solved. More cats will take their place eventually, but perhaps the thoughtless owners will catch on and stop treating the whole neighborhood to their pet droppings.
Have you approached your neighbors about the problem? You could be totally juvenile and start phoning them throughout the night asking if they know where their stinking cats are.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I've seen just about every solution proposed that doesn't involve talking to the stupid cat person first. Not saying it will work, just saying that should be the first thing. The cats shouldn't be outside.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Firstly, a MASSIVE thanks to all of you that replied to my post, trying to help us ( me & my, now, FRANTIC garden-loving & cat-hating wife !).
Unfortunately, the woman next door is an Indian immigrant , with a hell of a lot of cats ! Whenever I've raised issues before ( her noisy, fatherless kids etc...) she screams that she'll contact "The Race Relations Council".
She wouldn't listen to any reasoned complaint that I've had before, so it seems pointless that I approach her about her cats ...... here in the UK, if you are British .... then you are a second-class citizen .... behind anyone that can get here, hiding in the back of a truck, to claim welfare. Thank you Mr. Phoney Blair. Anyway, that's beside my point.
I've, today, bought several rolls of *chicken-wire* & lengths of wooden pole ( now screwed to our, already high, wall). After finishing work I spent, today, almost 5 hours in the garden, making sure that any cat that wants to shit in our garden must now ...
a) not be afraid of heights ( & able to climb 6 foot of chicken-wire), as well as a 7-foot wall.
b) be able to pole-vault OUT of our garden, after jumping in
c) be prepared to be stranded in our garden, until I see it the next morning, be decapitated & then thrown into our dustbin ( *trashcan* in America ?)
Thanks for your advice,
PS. Cocoa Shells & Pepper are BRILLIANT ideas .... I checked on google. Unfortunately, they're expensive & only temporary solutions. You have to keep renewing the cocoa & pepper.
I reckon that my idea is better & much more economical. The cat-owning neighbours have to keep renewing their deceased cats.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 19 May 2004, not happy wrote:

Ok, just wanted to make sure that avenue had been exhausted before getting into solutions that involve potentially harming the cats. I am a cat person, so don't take this the wrong way, but I really feel worst for the cats. It sucks that they have such a stupid owner.

Add pictures here
βœ–

The OP had already mentioned that she has tried talking to the neighbor in the past.
--
McQualude

Add pictures here
βœ–
A shotgun seems to work well.
Henry Etta
said:

Add pictures here
βœ–

What is an "OP"? I know I've asked before, but if it was answered, I missed it. I keep seeing it used and it's buggin' me.. what's it stand for/ mean?
Janice
Add pictures here
βœ–
Original Poster, the person who started the thread.
Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMearthlink.net
Zone 6, South-central PA

Do an internet search for "Scarecrow Sprinkler" - this seems to be a good solution although you don't define what 'expensive' is.
Here is one link - I'm sure that there are others....
http://store.yahoo.com/123ponds/scarecrow.html
HTH, Kathi in Huntsville
Add pictures here
βœ–
I put evergreen/fir branches down in the garden - the cats won't go near them since they get a nose/paw/butt full of prickly needles. I get them free from our Christmas tree recycling park, but if you have evergreen trees you can just trim some branches off. This is the only thing that has worked for me.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Use Araucaria branches and NO ONE (including me) will go near them!!
Add pictures here
βœ–

When I lived in the Redwoods I had an unlimited supply of twigs. I stuck them in freshly dug beds close enough together that the cats couldn't squat, this does take a lot of twigs though
--
09 = ix

Add pictures here
βœ–