Re: Amaryllis

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:22:45 -0400, David Meade wrote:

When you see white leaf tips starting to come out it's time to plant, water and wait.
I have 4 amaryllis in full bloom right now.
They were in a 45 degree dark basement for a year and a half. Two weeks ago I noticed all were putting up flower spikes. Brought into light and watered. Absolutely beautiful blooms. 3 to 4 per stalk.
Eigther they overslept or they woke up early.
Amaryllis in full bloom in August??? I thought they were a christmas plant.
JRock
Zone 4

year
The Amaryllis (or Hippeastrum as we now have to call them) that we have to flower at Xmas is a prepared bulb treated so that it will flower in the winter .
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8529.html
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries