Re: A question about agapanthus

Sure, if its not dense shade.

Its always better to grow several in a group. Maybe more than one flower color too?

The Agapanthus sure looked good growing along the sidewalk of O.J's former Brentwood Estate.

We live in town and we want to know if agapanthus is suitable to grow around > tree bases, even if the soil is very gravelly. Should we plant just one > agapanthus or several in a group? Please help, Frank > >
Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

I have no idea, but my favorite "confuse the pilgrims" sign for my driveway is: "Beware of the Agapanthas." Most people have absolutely *no* idea what an agapanthas is, so they're afraid to get out of their car up here at the house.

(It's going to get worse -- I have a local sculptor working on a life-sized triceratops metal sculpture for me. It's going to be poking it's head out of the treeline, about 1/4 mile up my driveway. My driveway is 1/2 mile long.)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Have you been smoking the Agapanthas up there in Alaska, Jan?

The subject is Agapanthus. You can't grow them in Alaska. Then again, there are some deciduous cold hardy species that have been successfully grown outdoors in Denver you might want to try.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Reply to
Jan Flora

My agapanthus project is going to involve an electric jack hammer to get them planted, so dense and gravelly is the terrain outside our front door. I hope these plants are as hardy as claimed. Also, they will have to cope with the ministrations of countless dogs being walked up and down every hour of the day. Should I use dolomite or something similar to help them start?

Reply to
Frank Martin

What do you mean by hardy? The evergreen cultivars grown in southern California are NOT cold hardy.

Exactly where on the planet are you?

If you have to deal with dogs, planting something prickly like miniature roses, cactus or even thistles might be far more appropriate!!!!

"Cereoid-UR12-"

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

I live in Melbourne Australia.

Reply to
Frank Martin

Do they sell the American magazine, "Horticulture" in Oz? My mom just sent the August 2003 issue and one of the big feature articles is about Agapanthas. I'll read it tonight and try to give you a synopsis. (I'd forgotten just how pretty those plants are...)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora