raspberries

I am in Milwaukee, next to the lake and zone 5ish. It is a Milwaukee "thing" to have raspberries in the back yard. I have a great spot at our rental. Lots of sun. great drainage. I just dont know what variety to order. I want something trouble free, disease resistant and that doesnt bear all summer, rather give a nice few bowls at one time.
I was supposed to get plants from the woman next door but they moved and the new people said they would but ended up chopping the plants out. nobody knows what kind they were, of course. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

We enjoyed heritage for many years.
http://www.raspberries.us/varieties.htm
Major mistake for us was trying a black raspberry because it rooted whenever a branch touched the soil and had small fruits. Name skips me.
Currently not growing any.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

I would strongly suggest that you get to your library and read about the pruning raspberries need in order to:
- Produce well - Not become a tangled mess that'll require a bulldozer to deal with
I mention this because you said "trouble free". They're a great thing to have, but they do require attention. Anyone who tries to summarize it for you in a newsgroup is doing you a disservice, and you will be surprised at some point in the future.
Why in the world would I go to a library to read about gardening when I have the internet? trouble free I mean pests. I really, really dont like to spray with anything except dormant oil. I would love some of the low thorn variety but I am sure I would have to give up size of crop or disease resistance. many of those new cultivars are very very finicky. Ingrid

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:38:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I have grown red and black raspberries (several cultivars of each) for a dozen years now. I have had a little problem with cane borers but enough to cause me to take any action.
The only serious problem has been Japanese Beetles eating the berries. Yes, that is right, they eat the berries. I kept a coffee can with some old motor oil in it near the raspberry patch and would drop JB into it every time I saw one, or a hundred.
Ever since I inoculated my entire spread with Milky Spore - about 6 years ago - the JB problem has been reduced to nuisance, if that.
John

I think my mother in law's success was due to the bushes being such a tangled mess that even the bugs were afraid to go near them. :)
I remember the white male landowner drivel served up to me in school. I much prefer finding historical information on the internet that provides OTHER points of view. Much of the "good stuff" will never be found in a book, on TV or in newspapers.
"Bugs" are just one of the pests. there are fungi, viruses and bacteria that are much more difficult to treat than "bugs". resistance to them is more important. Ingrid

Why never in a book? Is all knowledge before the internet null and void?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No, it's because the inane rambling of the Netloons is unpublishable.
--John
our founding "fathers". In general books are published by publishing houses that are typically reflect the establishment view of everything. For something other than an historical example, lets take "the care of goldfish". All the books out there essentially say the same thing, much of it totally wrong. most of the authors simply compile the prevailing "opinion" by reading what went before, rearrange it a bit and republish.. mostly to make money.
I want a different point of view. Ingrid

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:26:58 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Howard Zinn....."A People's History of the United States"