Rash From Garden Gloves?

I'm headed to the doctor's shortly to discuss a weird rash on the insides of my fingers. Naturally, he'll ask if I've come into contact with anything new or unusual. The only thing I can think of is a pair of new work gloves - the orange-ish suede leather ones available at Home Depot and places like that. Has anyone here ever had a reaction to leather gloves? I'm wondering about the pigment.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Never had a rash, but every time I use a new pair of the orange gloves my hands turn orange. For that reason I prefer to buy the grey gloves if they are available.
I generally buy the cheapest heavy gloves I can because I generally use about 3-8 pairs per year. Most of them get lost, but several get worn out. It also happens with the more expensive gloves. [See my previous post on shovels]
Doug Kanter wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
I don't see a message thread about shovels when I search. What was it about?

insides of

new
the
that.
about
Add pictures here
βœ–
A reaction to latex seems to be quite common. Could you have a reaction to latex ? Hospital gloves and such are made from latex. http://www.histosearch.com/histonet/Apr00A/GlovereactionA.html
Also, hospital staff and medics are told to avoid using suede gloves at all times because they are impossible to disinfect if the glove becomes contaminated. So if the gloves are bought used... who knows what's in 'em. http://216.239.41.104/search?q Κche:_XERq1jimXUJ:www.calexambulance.org/CALEXEXPOSUREDOC.pdf+%22suede+gloves%22+reaction+rash&hl=en
The following link looks like pretty good info... http://www.aad.org/pamphlets/hand.html
I got quite a few links by searching for "leather gloves" reaction rash
Three links turned up for... "suede gloves" reaction rash
Hope that helps.
--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.
On Thursday, September 16, 2004 7:38:41 PM UTC-7, Jim Carlock wrote:

Knock on wood, I haven't had rash from the gauntlets I wear for prickly plants like roses, cacti, etc. Leather palms, fabric uppers. (Gauntlets because I have to wear gloves to protect my arms as well as hands. Plant pricks take a while to heal on me.)
I use the vinyl gloves sold in boxes in most drugstores. I like the vinyl because they are tough and permit a finer grasp. (Of course "heavy" is indispensable in, well, heavy tasks.)
Vinyl gloves -- NOT "surgical latex!!! --are cheap and disposable, but can often be reused.
Just my .02
HB
Add pictures here
βœ–

Clean up real good and try some over the counter hydrocortisone cream. Inside of the fingers is a place where things like poison ivy take hold easily because the skin is thin and moist there. Poison ivy is pretty much like any of the other dermatitis you can get from things you touch.
I am not a doctor, I don't even have a yacht or bmw
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/17/04 8:31 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, "Beecrofter"

And speaking from painful personal experience, be very careful around poison ivy this time of year. I grabbed a clump of leaves that more closely resembled a beech seedling (4 serrated leaves on 3 inch stalk and not the least bit shiny) and ended up with 6 foot of poison ivy, leaves, vine and roots. Despite immediately washing with Technu, I ended up in Urgent Care and with a course of steroids for a systemic case. It still took almost a week for the pain to end and I was still getting new flare ups 10 days later.
Thankfully, I am better now, with just a few spots to heal over now. I wouldn't wish that on anyone - including spammers.
BTW - are the gloves the goat leather or a cowhide? I recall a buddy that was allergic to goats milk reacting to goat leather gloves.
Cheryl
Add pictures here
βœ–

not leather, but when I put on certain chem resistant gloves (neoprene coated?), I get an uncomfortable feeling and they smell unhealthy. no rash though. I usually can flush them with water and wear them after awhile.
do both your hands have the same rash or is it just on one hand? if you were allergic to the gloves I'd think you'd have symptoms on other parts of your hand, Having them on the inside of your fingers is really specific, though.
Add pictures here
βœ–
opined:

Yes, I have. Not till I got a bit older, but recently I had a bout with eczema due to wearing gloves and having wet hands in them. I bought this very expensive prescription cream and in 24 hours my hands, which were on fire with itching, were calmed.
βœ–
replying to Doug Kanter, jimmyd wrote:

Yes, I had the same problem. In fact my index finger became infected and I ended up taking antibiotics for 10 days to get rid of the Staph infection caused by the gloves. I always suspected the problem was due to the gloves and now, thanks to your post, I am positive it was the gloves.
Add pictures here
βœ–
jimmyd wrote: ...

Ma has taken to wearing rubber gloves inside of the heavier work gloves for another reason, but i can see why when you think of what suede/leather goes through to become what it is in a glove and then the whole issue of how clean they are after some number of uses.
we use gloves that can be washed. i prefer cheapo cotton gloves for some tasks because they have some cushion to them. so far she's bought two different kinds from Home Depot to use for garden tasks and i can use them, but they do not fit very well and it can slow things down so i switch back to the cotton gloves instead. and then there is the simple fact that i can't stand the smell of some of them. yuck. feel like i have a chemical factory on the end of my little stubbies.
songbird
Add pictures here
βœ–
ancientangler wrote:

If the rash is only between your fingers it may not be the gloves, otherwise your entire hand would have the rash... could be what you were handling while wearing the gloves... plant oils will seep through leather gloves, especially those rough textured porous suede gloves that typically have very thin gussets between the fingers. Perhaps you were handling poison ivy or the like... also not wise to share gloves, and I don't recommend leather gloves for gardening.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:28:56 AM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:

I do use leather-PALM gloves for rough tasks but it's only the PALM; between the fingers is fabric.
Also, may I repeat suggestion of using disposable VINYL -- NOT LATEX -- gloves for ordinary garden tasks.
HB
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

Who gives a rat's behind what YOU use, you're not the OP.

Vinyl is too weak for gardening, use nitrile gloves. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-100-pc-large-68497.html http://www.atlasfitgloves.com/atlasgardeninggloves.html http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-gardening-gloves/ http://www.gardeners.com/buy/nitrile-gloves/35-675.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Saturday, November 15, 2014 12:01:26 PM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Ever the perfect gentleman, in whichever NG you {searches for suitable verb...)

Odd...been using it with 100% success for years...

powderfree is for certain skin conditions..

HB
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 10:29:20 -0800 (PST), Hypatia Nachshon

insides

anything

gloves -

like that.

about

between the fingers is fabric.

gloves for ordinary garden tasks.

Also there are nitrile one use gloves as well as vinyl and latex. I prefer nitrile as they are less likely to have allergenic issues.
?-)
Add pictures here
βœ–