Raising kids to be gardeners

Just like being literate a good example is primary. Some times children forced to do anything just shuts down the process . Of course not everyone has access to a potential garden. Community gardens can and do fill the gap. But nothing beats going out back and playing in the dirt all year long. Coupled with a garden catalogue perhaps some garden art. Visits to all sort s of gardens simple and formal may inspire. If ones parents are not involved perhaps a crazy aunt or uncle can substitute. I'm reminded of the star trek captain at academy whose mentor was a gardener. The love and interest in nature can be learned but not forced. To bring out the wonder is a hope and I feel a good description of maturity.

Bill Inspire = to keep spirt in

Reply to
Bill

Just like the typical Noo Yawker who has never been to Brooklyn..

It's "Brooklyn Botanic Gardens":

brooklyn1

Wondered how to seek life Failed and returned to frozen hell

Bill a Blaken fool

Reply to
Bill

g'day bill,

the straw bale garden featured on our site we feel would be a good project for kids to get their teeth into. something they can do from go to we with no digging required no fallowing plant straightaway.

check our site:

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:13:13 -0400, Bill wrote: snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

len gardener

We had 3 kids between us. None of them were interested in gardening.

Reply to
D. Arlington

Heaven brings forth individuals in its own way. Still interests can and do change.

Bill whose children know what compost is.

Reply to
Bill

unfortunately, most parents give their kids the absolute worst example; they start off gangbusters, toss around a lot of cash, dive in without much of a plan, particularly regarding weed control; a crop of peas comes up, about half of them get picked, by summer the weeds are getting the upper hand, most of the other plants are submerged and bug ridden, but a few tomato plants stick up from the sea; after a couple of weeks of tomato harvest they can't even be bothered to pick the tomatoes any more, and the whole mess stands there all winter as a monument outside the back window to remind the kids that that's how you're supposed to see a project through from start to finish.

Maybe they can find something interesting to the children, that they can support them in?

Reply to
Billy

Sounds like my first few attempts :)

cheers

oz, moving steadily to pots and beds (no reference to nursing homes, please)

Reply to
MajorOz

example; they start off gangbusters, toss around a lot of cash, dive in without much of a plan, particularly regarding weed control; a crop of peas comes up, about half of them get picked, by summer the weeds are getting the upper hand, most of the other plants are submerged and bug ridden, but a few tomato plants stick up from the sea; after a couple of weeks of tomato harvest they can't even be bothered to pick the tomatoes any more, and the whole mess stands there all winter as a monument outside the back window to remind the kids that that's how you're supposed to see a project through from start to finish.

I've seen neighbor's gardens go this route over the years and places I've lived. They're all too glued to their PCs and TVs to get out there and work in the garden.

Reply to
D. Arlington

You wonder if the parents talk about the food at dinner time, if it is a hamburger from Mc Doo's, probably not. Ask them which is there favorite squash recipe, or if they have a favorite variety of corn. Ask what combination of greens make their favorite salad. When people ask their opinions, they will feel empowered and take a position on a vegetable. It's a lot like politics. Once invested in a vegetable, they will be more interested in growing it. If they find that what they grow tastes better than what comes from the store, you will have a gardener. But you can't just give them a pack of seeds and say grow this because they have no investment in the outcome.

Reply to
Billy