rainwater watering in small spaces

Hi. My first post!
I live in a small cottage in a Conservation Area on the Channel coast. I have a couple of hanging baskets at the front of my house and they are sited next to a rainwater pipe. My rear garden has an automatic watering system but these baskets are too far away to be fed from this. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience about using rainwater from the front of the house? Unfortunately these 200yr old properties do not have gardens to the front so I cannot install a water butt and, whatever I do use, it has to be relatively discrete due to conservation laws. Thanks.
--
keithcav

keithcav wrote:

How do you water the baskets now? What is your primary aim, to water the plants more easily or to use roof water instead of wasting it? I am assuming that you have mains pressure water supply. Where is the nearest part of your household cold water supply pipes to these baskets?
David