Rainbow Eucalyptus - any one have first hand knowledge?

I am in love with the colorful bark of this tree. I saw a 15' specimen in the Black Olive Nursery in Fort Lauderdale today. They told me it will grow up to 40 feet tall but no idea if it is hurricane reistant in any way... I did some search on the web and it says;
"Very large forest tree to 220ft. It is a fast grower, though it can be kept to a much smaller sized if desired. Grows well in full sun or part shade. Generally likes a lot of water and naturally grows in a rain-forest environment. Hardy to 26-28F, but only for brief periods; will not stand intense or prolonged frosts. Prefers a humid, cooler tropical climate."
220 ft? Wow that is not going to work or is that in the ideal condition in it's native habitat? Can I plant it ten feet from a house in Miami, Florida (10)?
Thanks,
MC
miamicuse I am in love with the colorful bark of this tree. I saw a 15
specimen in the Black Olive Nursery in Fort Lauderdale today. They tol me it will grow up to 40 feet tall but no idea if it is hurrican reistant in any way... I did some search on the web and it says;
"Very large forest tree to 220ft. It is a fast grower, though it can b kept to a much smaller sized if desired. Grows well in full sun or par shade. Generally likes a lot of water and naturally grows in rain-forest environment. Hardy to 26-28F, but only for brief periods will not stand intense or prolonged frosts. Prefers a humid, coole tropical climate."
220 ft? Wow that is not going to work or is that in the ideal conditio in it's native habitat? Can I plant it ten feet from a house in Miami Florida (10)?
Thanks,
MC
to be honest with u MC i would really think twice or even a dozen time before planting this tree. its sure is a pretty impressive tree but take a look at what it say here :(. http://www.mgonlinestore.com/Rainbow/ good luck, sockiescat
-- sockiescat
I am in love with the colorful bark of this tree. I saw a 15' specimen in the Black Olive Nursery in Fort Lauderdale today. They told me it will grow up to 40 feet tall but no idea if it is hurricane reistant in any way... I did some search on the web and it says; "Very large forest tree to 220ft. It is a fast grower, though it can be kept to a much smaller sized if desired. Grows well in full sun or part shade. Generally likes a lot of water and naturally grows in a rain-forest environment. Hardy to 26-28F, but only for brief periods; will not stand intense or prolonged frosts. Prefers a humid, cooler tropical climate." 220 ft? Wow that is not going to work or is that in the ideal condition in it's native habitat? Can I plant it ten feet from a house in Miami, Florida (10)? Thanks, MC
It's a native of New Guinea and not offered around here but I do have experience of large eucalypts. Planting them near the house is madness. Any may lose branches in a storm and a few (I have no idea if this is one) will drop branches on calm days just cause they feel like it. Of course they are a great fire hazard. It may take 50 years or more to reach 200ft but as a fast grower it may reach 50ft in much less than that, even at this size you will have these potential problems. Have you ever seen the mess a good sized eucalyptus branch makes of a roof? I have.
David
miamicuse wrote:

in the Black Olive Nursery in Fort Lauderdale today. They told me it will grow up to 40 feet tall but no idea if it is hurricane reistant in any way...

kept to a much smaller sized if desired. Grows well in full sun or part shade. Generally likes a lot of water and naturally grows in a rain-forest environment. Hardy to 26-28F, but only for brief periods; will not stand intense or prolonged frosts. Prefers a humid, cooler tropical climate."

in it's native habitat? Can I plant it ten feet from a house in Miami, Florida (10)?

You could try a Lacebark (Chinese) Elm instead.
not quite as impressive - but a very nice tree.
http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnews/sg05/images/sg050113.jpg
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)