rain yay!

it's not snow. :)
yesterday was a bit cool and i had second thoughts about going out and doing some garden tasks, but it was such a nice sunny day that i talked myself into it. with the forecast being for rain last night and today i was hoping to have at least one garden prepped and ready to go so the rains could settle them and get the organic matter wetted down so the worms could work at it.
started out by turning in some of the leaves and ashes for one garden, so that warmed me up. some worms already in there chomping away. we've had some cold nights below freezing still so i was surprised the worms were as near the surface as these were.
then i spread ashes and picked trash out of leaves and put them over the ashes in a second garden. i dint have enough energy to turn those in, but they are getting a good soaking now. which is good as it will keep them from blowing around.
in the news i see some scientists are reporting that they've bred beans that are more tolerant for higher heat by crossing varieties with the tepary bean (from the SW of the USoA). the tepary bean is noted for small size and not that great of flavor or quality, but if they've got crosses with other beans it might be well worth exploring for those who are growing things in the arid and warmer climates.
i don't think this area will be that hot or dry but with all the cross breeding i have going on here with the beans i may end up with some that are more tolerant for high heat and humidity too. we'll see...
songbird
On 3/25/2015 6:41 AM, songbird wrote:

Rain? What is rain? :(
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 3/25/2015 10:50 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

David E. Ross wrote: ...

at least northern California has had some rain the past few days. i hope some more will make it further south sometime soon.
songbird